- Fenerbahce News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Turkish First Division News
Women and kids only as Fenerbahce ban men
Published : 21 Sep 2011 13:05:38Rss feed
A 40,000 crowd made up entirely of women and children watched a Turkish league match on Tuesday after sports authorities hit on a novel way to deal with crowd trouble at top flight side Fenerbahce.
Media reports on Wednesday said the league match against Manisaspor passed off without incident at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in Istanbul after men were barred from attending.
The Turkish Football Federation (TFF) said the decision had been made to bar men "to remind supporters of the beauty and values of football".
Fenerbahce had been in hot water in July after fans went on the rampage at a friendly game with Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk.
The TFF responded by fining the club and forcing it to play its matches behind closed doors before coming up with a more unusual solution for Tuesday's match.
"This match will go down in the annals of football," commented a female sports reporter from Hurriyet daily, who was in the stands.