skip to content

No further action against Scudamore

19 May 2014 17:01:52

No further action against Scudamore

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore will face no further disciplinary action over sending sexist emails.

A meeting of Premier League clubs decided against any action after hearing that the emails "did include some inappropriate remarks" but that he had apologised.

Premier League acting chairman Peter McCormick said in a statement: "In these circumstances, and in the light of a previously unblemished record over 15 years of service to the Premier League, the clubs resolved unanimously that no further disciplinary action is required or justified."

Scudamore said in a statement he felt sincere contrition over the emails.

He said: "Entering into email exchanges of this nature was wrong and the apology I have made is sincere, as is the contrition I feel. These exchanges do not reflect my views towards women in football, the workplace or in general. It is something that will never be repeated.

"The Premier League shareholders have considered and deliberated this matter and I fully accept and respect their recommendations and conclusions.

"I appreciate that I have a tremendous amount of hard work to do to convince those in the game who do not know me that my leadership and work in the areas of equality and discrimination to date reflect who I am and what I believe.

"So, I will now undertake meetings and discussions with a wide range of stakeholders in the game to hear their views and to reassure them that I will continue to do my utmost personally, and through all the Premier League's means to help promote diversity and inclusion, develop the women's game and support women who want be involved in football at any level.

"I am grateful for the support I have received throughout this from family, friends and colleagues, but especially the women who work with me at the Premier League."

McCormick said in his statement that he had conducted an investigation into the matter "in conjunction with external specialist legal advisors specifically appointed for the role", and that the clubs accepted Scudamore's "genuine and sincere apology".

The statement said a female senior executive at the Premier League referred to in the emails had been copied in the exchanges and has confirmed that she "was not then and is not now offended by the references".

The emails were leaked by Scudamore's former temporary personal assistant, Rani Abraham, to the Sunday Mirror, and the statement added that she "was not exposed to them in the course of her duties but had to search for them in a private email account which she was not authorised to access".


PA

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related FA News

advertisement

advertisment