Goal-line technology to go ahead
Published : 05 Jul 2012 08:17:14
Goal-line technology is expected to finally be given the go-ahead by football's law-makers on Thursday.
After months of testing, the International FA Board (IFAB) are set to approve both the Hawk-Eye and the GoalRef systems.
That will give the green light to the Premier League and Football Association introducing the technology into their competitions.
Chelsea manager Roberto Di Matteo said a system was needed as soon as possible.
"We see every season, every big tournament, we need it because there are some crucial moments within those games where with a bit of technology you could find the right solution," he said.
There will still be a delay before either system can be used in competitive football however - each will need to be licensed, installed and then tested in every venue to make sure it is working properly.
The IFAB, who are meeting in Zurich, will also insist that the technology is used only as an aid to referees to make a decision, rather than being the deciding factor in whether the ball has crossed the line. It means referees can still decide not to award a goal based on what they see even if the systems are indicating the ball has crossed the line.
FIFA's president Sepp Blatter is now a firm supporter of goal-line technology, having changed his mind after Frank Lampard's disallowed goal for England against Germany in the 2010 World Cup.
The clamour increased last month after Ukraine's disallowed goal against England and has also served to sweep aside any lingering doubts over the systems' margins of error.
The body will also consider whether the UEFA experiment with extra officials has been a success and should be continued but UEFA president Michel Platini will not be going to Zurich to argue the case in person.