Spurs expect game to go ahead
Tottenham have confirmed that Saturday's Premier League game against Everton is still scheduled to go ahead as planned as things stand. Violent protests have blighted the capital for the last three days after locals began rioting following the fatal shooting of Tottenham resident Mark Duggan last week. Tottenham High Road, the place where the initial violence erupted on Saturday night, is located less than a mile from Spurs' White Hart Lane home and one of the club's ticket offices was broken in to and vandalised during the troubles. On Sunday night the violence spread to nearby Enfield, and rioting and looting were reported on Monday evening in Hackney, also close to White Hart Lane. Police are expected to monitor the situation over the next 48 hours and report back to Tottenham on whether they think Saturday's match against David Moyes' team should go ahead, but as it stands, both clubs are planning for the match as normal. "Following the disturbances in Tottenham over the weekend, the club has been in ongoing discussions with the necessary authorities regarding this coming weekend's Premier League fixture against Everton," said a statement on Spurs' website. "We can advise fans that at this stage the game is going ahead and the club is doing everything it can to ensure that this remains the position. "Fans are advised to please check the website for further updates and in particular travel details as we shall look to advise fans on best available travel options." Spurs have cancelled tours of White Hart Lane and the club's megastore has been closed on safety grounds. Any decision to call off the game on security grounds will have to be sanctioned by the Premier League. Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy spoke of his dismay at the damage caused to the ticket office and the rest of the area by the rioters, who are expected to continue their protests throughout the week despite appeals for calm. Levy said: "As a major employer and business in the area, the club is deeply saddened by recent events. We are concerned about the disruption to local people's lives and the effect on the community as a whole. "The situation has also meant that vandals have unfortunately been able to use the events as an opportunity to loot and destroy property and business premises. "This is the second time this has happened in our area in recent times (the last incident being the Broadwater Farm riots in 1985). "Our hope is that calm and order is restored as soon as possible and that we can now look to rebuild the area and the spirit of the community." Everton have sold out their allocation of tickets for the season opener, but many Toffees fans have voiced their concern about the situation and may decide to miss the trip. Levy, meanwhile, says Tottenham will do everything they can to help the community get back on its feet. He added: "We have immediately offered further support to the community and are discussing how best to tangibly assist with the aftermath of these events with our local MP David Lammy and Claire Kober, Leader of Haringey Council. "The club is committed to supporting its community with help with both the physical clean-up of our area and the longer term rebuilding of the community spirit. "It is more critical than ever that community, business and political leaders - local and national, public and private - now work closely together to support the regeneration of this area and we shall certainly look to play our part in that."
Related Everton News