After England's friendly with Holland on Wednesday was postponed - along with a string of Carling Cup games - the first top-flight match has now been called off. However, it was later confirmed that there will be no further postponements in the Premier League.
And speaking in the House of Commons, Prime Minister David Cameron revealed that the kick-off times for the remaining Premier League matches could now be brought forward to avoid further trouble.
Nightmare: Fires raged in Tottenham on Saturday night
Cameron told MPs it was one of the issues discussed at the meeting of the emergency Cobra committee.
He said: 'As I understand it, subsequent to that, it's been decided that the Tottenham game against Everton should be postponed but as I understand it the intention is that other games in London, the start of the Premier League season, should go ahead but perhaps starting earlier in the day.
'I think that sounds like a very sensible agreement if that indeed is what has been agreed between the Premier League and the police.'
A Premier League statement read: 'Following on-going discussions with the Metropolitan Police, statutory authorities and clubs in London, The Premier League can confirm that, aside from the postponed Tottenham Hotspur v Everton match, all League games in the capital will go ahead as scheduled this weekend.
'The Premier League has worked closely with the authorities and London-based clubs throughout the recent civil unrest to ensure matches are staged in accordance with supporter safety.
'While all efforts were made to try and facilitate the Tottenham Hotspur v Everton match by the Metropolitan Police and the local authority, the situation on the Tottenham High Road proved too difficult to overcome.
'The Premier League would like to thank the Metropolitan Police and all the other relevant police forces for their efforts and on-going communication during this difficult time.
'Acting on current information from the authorities there is no reason to believe that matches outside of London will be affected at this time.'
The Football League has confirmed that all matches in London this weekend will go ahead as planned, including Cheltenham v Swindon which was earlier postponed before being reinstated.
A statement on Cheltenham's official website read: 'Gloucestershire Police had originally withdrawn their support for the game due to the recent civil unrest in Gloucester and other parts of the country.
'However, a reassessment of the situation has now resulted in the police being able to provide the required resources for Saturday's match.'
A Football League Statement read: 'Following on-going discussions with the Metropolitan Police, statutory authorities and Clubs in London, The Football League can confirm that all League games in the capital will go ahead as scheduled this weekend.
Waiting game: Tottenham's players will sit it out on Saturday
'The Football League has worked closely with the authorities and London-based clubs throughout the recent civil unrest to ensure matches are staged in accordance with supporter safety.
'Actingon current information from the authorities there is no reason to believe matches outside of London will be affected at this time.'
PremierLeague chief executive Richard Scudamore confirmed the game at White Hart Lane would not be played but was 'positive' that the other nine fixtures in the opening round of top-flight games would go ahead.
Hesaid: 'The very latest situation is that Tottenham and Everton has gone. The police have done a fantastic job, but it's been a crime scene all week and the council have not had enough time to do what they need.
'The other nine fixtures are looking positive, subject to any more trouble.
'At 6pm tonight we will have a very clear picture. The Tottenham game is a real shame but we support the police in what they are doing.
'They want these games to go on as much as we do.'
Civil unrest in and around Tottenham began last weekend and quickly spread to other areas of the capital and other major cities across England.
The violence first broke out on Saturday after aprotest against the fatal police shooting of Mark Duggan, a 29-year-oldfather-of-four who was gunned down a week ago.
There was reported damage to a ticket office at White Hart Lane.
Empty: White Hart Lane will no longer host football on Saturday
Worry: Steve Bruce
A Tottenham statement read: 'Following ongoing discussions with the necessary authorities regarding this weekend's Premier League home match against Everton, it has now been confirmed that this fixture will be postponed due to safety concerns relating to the infrastructure of the High Road and access to the stadium caused by last Saturday's riots.
'We apologise for any inconvenience caused to supporters due to matters outside of the control of the club. We shall update fans on when this fixture will be rearranged in due course.'
Spurs captain Michael Dawson admitted his disappointment at his delayed start to the season, but understood the reasons for the postponement.
He said: 'We've worked for six weeks trying to get fit and now the first week's not going to be happening forus. But safety is the main thing, and the police wouldn't have called it off lightly.'
Chelseacounterpart John Terry, who was due to captain England in Wednesday's friendly against Holland until it too was called off, shared Dawson's sentiments.
He said: 'It was unfortunate for us, a lot of kids would have been at the game, but like Michael says, the safety is the most important thing.'
On Twitter, Everton captain Phil Neville wrote: 'I'm in depression now - trained for 6 weeks for saturday's game I know its 100% the right decision but I'm going to sulk all day!!!'
The only other weekend fixture so farto fall foul of the demands being placed on police resources by the unrest is the Blue Square Bet Premier match between Telford and Luton. West Mercia Police requested that the match be postponed.
Meanwhile, Sunderland boss Steve Bruce is hoping rioters will not ruin the rest of the start of the Premier League season.
TheBlack Cats are due to launch their campaign at Liverpool, one of the cities affected by trouble earlier this week, on Saturday.
Bruce said: 'I think I stand for the whole of the country. We are outraged and shocked by what we have seen.
'Ihope the Premier League can get started. In my opinion, it would be wrong to let these idiots and thugs who are doing what they are doing disrupt everything.
'Wewill be guided by the authorities, but I echo what most people think and what most people are saying. I am saddened and shocked that our country could come to something like that.'
Call off Premier League kick-off to help emergency services deal with riots, urges CahillAs England reels from shameful riots, QPR chief Bernie warns. the world is watchingEngland v Holland scrapped. and now riots could put end to Premier League matchesSign up for our FREE Fantasy Football game and your chance to win a share of ?40,000