In-form Everton held by relegated Wolves

06 May 2012 04:47

Everton extended their unbeaten run to eight league games on Sunday but had to settle for a point in a goalless draw away to already-relegated Wolverhampton Wanderers.

The Toffees had the better of the chances at Molineux and only a dubious offside flag prevented Nikica Jelavic from registering the opener in the first half, while Denis Stracqualursi had a goal disallowed after the break.

Everton have not lost a Premier League match since their 3-0 defeat to Liverpool in the Merseyside derby almost two months ago but this point keeps them in seventh place in the table and leaves them on course to finish above their neighbours for the first time since 2005.

Wolves were already condemned to finishing bottom and this result leaves them without a win in 13 games, but their beleaguered interim manager Terry Connor will take heart from the way his side battled to a draw, while the home fans ended the afternoon cheering their team's every pass.

Everton, who had drawn 1-1 at Stoke in midweek, dominated possession in the opening 45 minutes but were unable to get what would have been a deserved breakthrough goal.

Jelavic got away from home goalkeeper Dorus De Vries to finish after being put through by Steven Pienaar only to be pulled back for offside.

However, the decision was a marginal one with the Croat appearing to be level with Ronald Zubar when the ball was played, and visiting manager David Moyes was furious.

Jelavic had scored eight goals in his first 11 league appearances since moving south from Rangers in January, and he again looked in the mood here.

He had the best chance of the second half after getting in front of George Elokobi in the 72nd minute and latching on to a through ball only to drag his shot wide of the far post.

He then turned provider just 60 seconds later with a cross from the left that was turned in by substitute Stracqualursi but the flag was up for offside against Marouane Fellaini, who had initially gone for the ball and missed.

Unlike in the first half, this time Everton could have few complaints about the assistant referee's call as the game petered out to a stalemate.

Source: AFP