- Everton News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Cahill slams Cabaye after accepting ban
Everton's Australian attacking midfielder Tim Cahill launched a broadside at Newcastle's French international Yohan Cabaye after accepting a three-match ban for his red card in his side's 3-1 victory last Sunday.
Cahill, 32, accused Cabaye of using offensive language at the end of the match, which saw the Australian react by grappling with the Frenchman and being red-carded.
Everton appealed against the red card but it was rejected earlier on Tuesday by the Football Association (FA).
"I accept my three-match ban," Cahill said in a statement.
"My reaction at the end of the game was out of character but I was disgusted at comments made to me by Cabaye.
"I don't wish to elaborate on the exact detail of what was said -- but his words have no place either on or off the football pitch.
"Cabaye has apologised via his club's website and as far as I am concerned, the matter is now closed."
Cabaye also issued an apology on Newcastle's website.
"I would like to apologise for the cross words I exchanged with Tim Cahill, which resulted in his red card and my booking on the final whistle," said the 26-year-old, who has impressed in his first season in the Premier League after signing from 2011 French champions Lille.
"It was unnecessary and, regrettably, the result of frustration and disappointment, all in the heat of the moment.
"It is out of character and for that I am sorry."
Related Everton News