- Everton News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
'Disgusted' Cahill accepts ban
Everton midfielder Tim Cahill has accepted a three-match ban for being sent off against Newcastle on Saturday but has accused opponent Yohan Cabaye of using language which has "no place either on or off the football pitch".
The Australian's club Everton earlier announced that their appeal against his red card had been rejected by the Football Association.
Cahill has since issued a statement, through his management company Wasserman Media Group, in which he said: "I accept my three-match ban. My reaction at the end of the game was out of character but I was disgusted at comments made to me by Cabaye."
He added: "I don't wish to elaborate on the exact detail of what was said - but his words have no place either on or off the football pitch.
"Cabaye has apologised via his club's website and as far as I am concerned the matter is now closed."
Cahill was sent off by referee Andre Marriner during his side's 3-1 win over Newcastle on Sunday and French midfielder Cabaye who issued an apology on the Magpies' official website at the weekend.
"I would like to apologise for the cross words I exchanged with Tim Cahill which resulted in his red card and my booking on the final whistle," he told www.nufc.co.uk.
"It was unnecessary and, regrettably, the result of frustration and disappointment, all in the heat of the moment.
"It is out of character and for that I am sorry."
Related Everton News