Sweden Vs England: Head to head stats
Published : 15 Jun 2012 09:33:04Rss feed
After England's draw against France, England fans are slowly starting to believe as they prepare to face the Swedes in Kiev tonight. The history of the fixture however suggests that England struggle against the Swedes and a draw is the most likely result.
- England have never beaten Sweden in seven previous competitive meetings. No country has ever stayed unbeaten in eight against England.
- The injured Gareth Barry headed England's winner in a Wembley friendly last November as England beat Sweden for the first time since 1968.
- Four of the last six meetings have ended level, including each of the last three competitive games.
- Sweden have lost their last three European championship finals matches - their worst run of defeats in tournament history.
- England have failed to score more than once in their last seven matches at major tournaments - since a 2-2 World cup draw with Sweden in 2006.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic has scored in each of Sweden's last four matches. The last player to score in five successive matches for the Swedes was Henrik Larsson back in 2001.
- England made the lowest percentage of passes (51%) in the opposition half of any team in the first round of the group games.
- Sweden have not drawn a match since February last year, a 1-1 friendly against Ukraine in Nicosia. Since then they have won 11 of 15 games and lost four.
- England are unbeaten in nine competitive matches since their 4-1 drubbing by Germany at the 2010 World cup.
- The Swedes have scored in all 11 competitive matches under Erik Hamren's management.
- Ibrahimovic's goal against Ukraine meant he became the fifth player to score at three different European championships: after Jurgen Klinsmann, Vladimir Smicer, Thierry Henry and Nuno Gomes.
- England have won their last four matches at a major tournament on 15th June without conceding a goal, including the Paul Gascoigne- inspired 2-0 win over Scotland at Euro 1996.
- However, England have twice lost on this date in European championships, including the 3-1 defeat by Holland in 1988.
Why Andy Carroll should start
Sweden V England- view commentary, squad, and statictics of the game live.