New FIFA bribe claims made
Published : 10 May 2011 12:30:03
New allegations that two FIFA executive committee members were paid 1.5million US dollars to vote for Qatar's 2022 World Cup bid have emerged.
The shock claims were highlighted by MPs at the culture, media and sport committee in the House of Commons. Tory MP Damian Collins said that evidence submitted by the Sunday Times, which the committee will publish, claimed that FIFA vice-president Issa Hayatou from Cameroon and Jacques Anouma from the Ivory Coast were paid 1.5million US dollars by Qatar.
Collins said: "The Sunday Times' submission, and this is to be published by us later, claims that 1.5million dollars was paid to FIFA executive committee members Issa Hayatou and Jacques Anouma who went on to vote for Qatar."
FIFA's ethics committee last year banned two other executive committee members after a Sunday Times investigation into World Cup bidding.
Collins said the submission claimed Qatar specifically employed a fixer to arrange deals with African members for their votes.