King leaves England camp
24 Mar 2009 - 13:49:16
The Ledley King injury saga has taken a fresh twist with confirmation that the defender has returned to Tottenham and will play no part in England's games against Slovakia or Ukraine.
Spurs had been at odds with the Football Association after their club captain was called up by head coach Fabio Capello for Saturday's friendly against Slovakia and the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine four days later.
Manager Harry Redknapp claimed the call-up was "madness" as the defender continues to fight a chronic knee problem which generally prevents him from playing successive games in a short space of time.
Redknapp said that had his skipper played against Ukraine at Wembley then he was highly likely to miss Tottenham's league game against Blackburn Rovers the following Saturday.
King met up with the rest of the 23-man squad in Hertfordshire on Tuesday morning where he held talks with Capello and the Italian's number two, Franco Baldini.
But, just a matter of hours after returning to the international fold, the 28-year-old has now returned to White Hart Lane for medical treatment.
"Ledley King has returned to Spurs Lodge to continue his rehabilitation over the course of the international break, following discussions and assessments overnight by the medical staff of both the club and the England national team," said a statement released by the FA.
"It has been agreed by both parties that the best interests of the player are served by continuing his individual training programme at the club and he will play no further part in England's preparations or participate in the friendly against Slovakia or the World Cup qualifier against Ukraine."
King's international future is now in serious doubt as the central defender had not previously been called up during Capello's reign. The last of his 19 caps came against Estonia in Tallinn in June 2007.