England U21 3 Lithuania U21 0

07 September 2010 05:56
Two goals from Danny Welbeck and one from Marc Albrighton saw England secure a place in the play-offs for a place in the U21 European Championship finals. The result was no more than Stuart Pearce's side deserved, having been the dominant side for the entire match at the Weston Homes Stadium in Colchester. Both goals came in the second-half, after a nervy opening period in which England struggled to find a cutting edge. Their best chance of the opening half fell to the Chelsea forward Daniel Sturridge, who should have done better when he found himself unmarked in the area after a move he had instigated. His tame shot went wide. The young Three Lions were clearly frustrated at being limited to long-range shots. Defender Michael Mancienne forced the keeper into a save with a shot from outside the area, but whenever England managed to move the ball closer to the visiting goal they were closed down and unable to get a shot or cross in. Danny Rose, the Tottenham winger, fired high and wide after 32 minutes when he found himself in space just inside the area. Lithuania almost snatched the lead after 36 minutes when Frank Fielding fumbled a free-kick, and was lucky the ball bounced back off his left post. It was the closest either side had come to scoring at that point. England started the second-half brightly, with excellent work from Danny Welbeck on the right wing resulting in a chance for Rose that was well blocked. Tom Cleverly tried his luck with a shot from distance that was palmed over by the visiting keeper. Sturridge fired just wide from outside the area after 51 minutes, as England continue to pile on the pressure. Welbeck finally relieved the mental pressure that was building after an hour when Jack Wilshere - on as a half-time substitute - and Cleverly combined well to slide the ball through for the Manchester United forward, who slid the ball into the far corner. Sturridge had the ball in the back of the net after 74 minutes, but the goal was correctly disallowed for offside. Pressure from Welbeck almost made it 2-0 after 77 minutes when he won the ball back inside the area, his shot was tame but deflected off a defender and then was almost fumbled in by the keeper. Welbeck was instrumental in setting up England's second moments later, with substitute Marc Albrighton smashing the ball home at the far post. Wellbeck added a third in stoppage time. England line-up:Frank Fielding, Kyle Walker, Ryan Bertrand, Michael Mancienne, Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Tom Cleverley, Jordon Henderson, Danny Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Rose.Substitutes: Martin Kelly, Jason Steele, Marc Abrighton, Jack Cork, Jack Wilshere, Fabrice Muamba, Nathan Delfouneso.