Fabio Capello wants to remain England manager but has revealed his future is in the hands of the Football Association following World Cup disappointment.
Capello held talks with Club England chairman Sir David Richards following Sunday's 4-1 defeat by Germany, which ended a disappointing campaign at the last 16 stage.
Speaking immediately after the game in Bloemfontein, Capello claimed he had no thoughts of walking away from a job where he remains under contract for two more years.
England left the training base in Rustenburg on Monday lunchtime but, before boarding the plane bound for London, the Italian held a press conference where he revealed that, although he would like to stay on as manager, the FA will have the final say over his future following a period of reflection.
The Italian had previously declared that anything less than a World Cup final appearance would be a disappointment for a team which he believed was one of the best prepared in the tournament.
"I spoke this morning with Sir Dave Richards," said Capello. "He told me that he needs two weeks to decide.
"I said I can be for next season, the manager of England, but they have to decide."
Capello was appointed England manager in December 2007 and guided the Three Lions to World Cup qualification in impressive fashion after winning nine of their ten games on the road to South Africa.
However, the World Cup did not go to plan for either the Italian coach or his heavily-criticised players following back-to-back opening draws against the USA and Algeria before a 1-0 final group win over Slovenia set-up a last-16 meeting with Germany.
When asked why England had failed to perform in South Africa, Capello replied: "All players were really tired at this competition.
"All the coaches told me physical situation of players was not like the players we know."