Capello says Bridge has time
Published : 19 Mar 2010 13:47:58Rss feed
England coach Fabio Capello insists there is time for Wayne Bridge to return to the international fold, admitting the situation that led to the full-back`s decision to make himself unavailable for selection was "heated".
Bridge last month announced he did not wish to be selected for England following newspaper allegations about a relationship between his former partner Vanessa Perroncel and Chelsea defender John Terry, claiming his presence was potentially "divisive".
It is not known how long the Manchester City defender`s self-imposed exile will last, but Capello said in an interview with Spain`s Gol Television: "He has time. The situation was very heated."
Capello also confirmed that David Beckham has been invited to join the England team at this summer`s World Cup even though the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star has been ruled out through injury.
Beckham, 34, underwent an operation on his Achilles tendon on Monday after suffering an injury whilst playing for AC Milan at the weekend, and he is expected to be out of action until well after this summer`s showpiece in South Africa.
Capello said: "We`ve asked Beckham to come with us to South Africa. He can be there with us. It depends on him and other things, on how the injury is. It`s clear he won`t be able to play."