Doncaster down struggling Crewe to maintain four-point lead at top

21 January 2017 05:39

Doncaster maintained their four-point lead at the top of Sky Bet League Two with a 3-1 win against struggling Crewe.

On-loan Everton midfielder Conor Grant gave Rovers the lead in the 22nd minute after good work from Tommy Rowe but Crewe were level 10 minutes later when James Jones tucked home the loose ball after Chris Dagnall's shot had been saved.

John Marquis restored Doncaster's lead in the 56th minute, heading home a Grant free-kick for his 15th goal of the season, and Rowe added a third with a simple header.

Plymouth left it late to claim a 2-1 win against third-bottom Cheltenham.

The second-placed Greens went in front in the 26th minute when home goalkeeper Scott Brown palmed a Jake Jervis corner into Sonny Bradley and he bundled the ball over the line.

Cheltenham equalised with five minutes remaining when Dan Holman smashed home his first league goal of the season, but defender Bradley snatched victory in injury time with a far-post header.

Carlisle remain third despite being held to a 1-1 draw by 10-man Accrington.

Stanley defender Matty Pearson was sent off in the 12th minute for a high challenge on Macaulay Gillesphey and they found themselves a goal down shortly afterwards as Jason Kennedy looked to turn in Shaun Miller's flick but the ball went in off Omar Beckles.

The Cumbrians' joy was short-lived, however, as Shay McCartan brought Stanley level 60 seconds later with a superb free-kick.

Exeter moved up to ninth with a convincing 3-0 win at home to Colchester.

Reuben Reid fired the Grecians in front after 20 minutes, having been played in by strike partner Ollie Watkins, and David Wheeler made it four goals in four games with a well-taken second in the 77th minute.

Liam McAlinden sealed another impressive victory for City in added time, converting a third Watkins assist.

Grimsby are also in the play-off mix after a 2-0 win against Notts County.

Omar Bogle scored his 19th goal of the season to put the Mariners in front and Scott Vernon wrapped up the points eight minutes from time.

Mansfield came from behind to claim a 3-1 win at Cambridge, with George Maris' opener cancelled out by a Leon Legge own goal and goals from Krystian Pearce and new signing Shaq Coulthirst easing the Stags to victory.

Sam Collins was in charge of Hartlepool as new manager Dave Jones watched a 2-0 win over Stevenage from the stands.

Pools spurned the chance to open the scoring in the 40th minute when Rhys Oates' penalty was saved by Jamie Jones but they were in front shortly afterwards when Nicky Featherstone slotted in at the second attempt.

Pools doubled their lead when midfielder Brad Walker, back in the starting line-up, turned in an Oates cross.

Elsewhere, Nathan Delfouneso snatched a point for Blackpool deep into injury time as they drew 2-2 at home to Yeovil, while an Adebayo Akinfenwa header sealed Wycombe a share of the spoils in a 1-1 draw against 10-man Luton.

Barnet drew 0-0 with Newport, while Crawley's clash with Portsmouth and Leyton Orient's game with Morecambe were postponed due to frozen pitches.

Source: PA