skip to content

Millen to decide Palace transfers

21 Aug 2014 22:46:56

Millen to decide Palace transfers

Keith Millen will spearhead Crystal Palace's transfer window recruitment drive in the wake of sporting director Iain Moody's resignation.

Caretaker manager Millen will lead Palace for the second week running in Saturday's home Premier League clash with West Ham.

Moody resigned on Thursday amid an FA investigation into allegations of racist, sexist and homophobic text messages he exchanged with Malky Mackay when the pair worked at Cardiff City.

Cardiff handed the FA a dossier of evidence which ultimately ruled Mackay out of the Palace job, vacant after Tony Pulis quit Selhurst Park on the eve of the season.

Moody's departure leaves a recruitment chasm, which Croydon-born Millen is determined to fill as he continues to battle for the full-time manager's role.

"It will go through me really now," said Millen of Palace's transfer plans with the September 1 transfer window closure fast approaching.

"I've asked the scouting department to have a meeting with me today, to discuss the names that we feel we can bring in.

"I'll speak to the chairman then.

"The process has got to be ongoing, and if we do appoint a manager, we can say 'this is what's out there, this is what we think we need', and then hopefully it will be the new manager's final decision."

Palace have signed Martin Kelly, Fraizer Campbell and Brede Hangeland, with Millen admitting at least three more arrivals are required to bolster the club's Premier League survival battle.

Former Norwich and Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has emerged as a contender for the vacant Palace job, with Mackay out of the picture.

Tim Sherwood is thought to have distanced himself from the role after effectively being initially deemed second-choice to Mackay.

Millen admitted Palace cannot afford to wait for the eventual new manager to call the shots on transfers, even if the club now force through a quick appointment.

"That's where the rush is, not the panic," he said.

"We do need to bring in some players, the days are counting down.

"That's why it's important we do our homework, as we have done all summer, and try to continue with a list of names, that we feel will continue and enhance what we're doing.

"I think it's maybe two or three.

"We've got a decent squad here, we haven't got to add to the squad it's just two or three more that add real competition to the starting XI.

"So it's not a major change.

"All the new signings played last week and did well.

"I think we are better than last year, but I think we've still got to improve a bit more."

Palace will be gunning for their first points of the season against West Ham on Saturday after their 2-1 opening-day defeat at Arsenal.

Millen said the club must now move quickly past their midweek controversy and kick-start the new league campaign.

"We've got to move on very quickly, certainly from the football side of it anyway.

"I hope this will be the end of it, because we just want to concentrate on what goes on on the football pitch, that's our biggest concern."


PA

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Crystal Palace News

advertisement

advertisment