skip to content

Busy week brings plenty of discussion: The last week at Selhurst

06 Dec 2013 14:19:50

Busy week brings plenty of discussion: The last week at Selhurst

A few discussion points from Selhurst this week.

 

It’s been a busy week in the Premier League and the same can be said for Palace.

The team were on their travels last Saturday, going down 1-0 to Norwich in Tony Pulis’ first game in charge. However, within a matter of days the team were able to move off of the bottom of the league after beating West Ham 1-0 at Selhurst Park. Next up is another home game, against Cardiff.

The West Ham game may not have been the team’s best performance but they had a number of opportunities to kill the game off whereas the visitors, despite having more possession, failed to really test Speroni.

It has also seen Palace record their third clean sheet in four games and make it seven points from a possible 12, all of which should breed confidence in both the squad and the supporters. As always confidence should not be mistaken for expectation and the Eagles will have a tough task against last season’s Championship winners Cardiff, who themselves are looking to accumulate points to pull away from the drop zone.

The support will play a key role against the Welsh visitors, and it has been a discussion point this week not just at Palace but up and down the country. The Eagles have officially backed an anti-pyrotechnics campaign launched by the Premier League, Football League and FA which has led to debate amongst supporters as to the role of pyrotechnics in football.

Much has been said on both sides of the debate, so will not be continued here, and Palace also sent a reminder to supporters on Tuesday night with regards to standing. They are also looking to engage the fanbase in the upcoming beam-back, which has been announced for the Chelsea game on December 14th.

The final note is on possibly the biggest news of the week – it has been confirmed that skipper Mile Jedinak has signed a new deal at the club. The three and a half year deal means the recently announced Australian Male Footballer of the Year is contracted with the club until 2017. This has been an ongoing situation, but fans will be relieved that it is now sorted and the focus can be fully on this season’s push for survival.

Daniel Smith - @dmsmith1987

Source: PalaceMAD


FOOTYMAD

Sponsored links