Dunlop Spot On In The Boyd Carpenter Cup Final

03 May 2013 10:15
Boyd Carpenter Cup Final Report

Dunlop lifted the Major Boyd Carpenter Cup with a 4-3 penalties victory over Sphinx Sports & Social after a 2-2 draw.

Watched by a good crowd at Hawkesmill Sports Club, Dunlop were the more attack minded of the two sides early on, forcing three corners before Jack Cudworth headed over from a corner at the other end.

In the 31st minute, Sphinx Sports & Social, who were crowned Coventry Alliance Division 2 Champions after Kenilworth Wardens had only drawn against The Bell AEI Rugby, had Jack Cudworth and then his brother Tom Cudworth (pictured below) go close on goal.

The ball was sent back upfield from the resulting goal kick and fell for Jack Cudworth to smash past the Dunlop keeper to give Sphinx the lead.

Sphinx brought on former Coventry City and Brentford midfielder Craig Pead for his first game since breaking his left leg on Easter Saturday but in the 39th minute, Dunlop attacked down the left and the ball was sent over to Jordan Brandish on the right of the area who sent the ball across the goal and into the far corner of the net. 

In a game which saw cautions for both side, Nicky Martin headed a Sphinx corner inches wide in the 51st minute and nine minutes later, Lou O'Connor rifled over from eighteen yards.

Substitute Matty Kelly delivered a 63rd minute cross from the right for Jack Cudworth to get in a flick which was saved off the post by the Dunlop keeper at the second attempt.

Cudworth was sent on his way in the next raid on goal and this time, fired just over from inside the area.

With eight minutes of normal time remaining and Sphinx boss Shaun Sweeney having used all of his substitutes, Craig Pead broke the same bone in his leg that he had just recovered from, meaning that they were down to ten men for the remainder of the match which was heading towards extra-time.

Matty Kelly did have an 88th minute shot well saved and Dunlop had the ball in the net in the final minute but the flag was up on the far side and the match went into two ten minute periods of extra time.

Four minutes into the first period of extra time and a neat move saw Dunlop take the lead thanks to Lou O'Connor beating the helpless Daffern with a neat flick from six yards.

Sphinx kept battling and two minute into the second period, they were rewarded when Dean Falconer headed in from a corner to take the game to penalties.

Tom Cudworth hit the keepers left hand post with his spot kick after Dunliop had converted their first penalty before Chris Daffern saved with his legs and Matty Kelly scored to level things.

Both sides scored twice before we came down to the decision spot kicks. Dunlop stepped up and scored theirs but Terry Ward had his kick saved and Dunlop won the Major Boyd Carpenter Cup 4-3 on penalties.




Picture copyright of Covsupport News Service. Credit CNS/KM









Source: Coventry MAD