Coca Cola League One
Venue: Carrow Road Date: Saturday, 8 August 2009 Kick-off: 1500 BST
Coverage: BBC Sport website, BBC Radio 5 live, BBC Radio Norfolk, Final Score & highlights on The Football League Show
Danish defender Jens Berthel Askou has received international clearance for Norwich, who are waiting for the green light for Serbian striker Goran Maric.
Defender Michael Nelson (head) could play in a new-look City side but Rhoys Wiggins is sidelined through injury.
Kevin Lisbie will make his second debut for Colchester, as seven players could make their U's bow.
Defender Paul Reid (knee) is out and Steven Gillespie (hamstring) is not likely to be risked.
• This is only the 25th league meeting of these East Anglian rivals, and their first at this level in half a century.
• Norwich thrashed the U's 5-1 when they last met at Carrow Road in March 2008. Colchester ended that season at the bottom of the Championship table, and Norwich finished three points above the relegation zone.
• Four years after playing Premier League football, Norwich find themselves in the third tier for the first time since 1960.
• Bryan Gunn's side lost five of their closing six matches last term, including the last three.
• The Canaries have not won an opening day fixture for seven years, since thrashing Grimsby 4-0 at Carrow Road in 2002.
• Colchester finished 13th last season in their first campaign after relegation from the Championship.
• The match is being staged the day after manager Paul Lambert's 40th birthday.
• The Essex club kick-off a league campaign away from home for the seventh season running.