Terry to continue giving evidence
England defender John Terry will continue giving evidence today when he returns to his trial for allegedly racially abusing Anton Ferdinand.
The Chelsea captain began giving evidence on Tuesday afternoon after his defence team lost their application to have the case dismissed. Terry, 31, is accused of maliciously calling the Queens Park Rangers centre-half a "f****** black c***" during a Premier League match at Loftus Road on October 23 last year.
Terry will return to Westminster Magistrates' Court today and resume his cross-examination by Duncan Penny, for the Crown. Terry, who used to play at the heart of England's defence with Ferdinand's brother Rio, denies a racially aggravated public order offence.
Yesterday he said he was "very angry and upset" when he thought the alleged victim accused him of racism.
Terry has told the Chief Magistrate Howard Riddle that after a clash with Ferdinand during the game, he believed the QPR player was accusing him of calling him a "f****** black c***".
As Terry ran back from the QPR penalty area to resume his position, Ferdinand began shouting abuse at him over an alleged relationship he had with Vanessa Perroncel, girlfriend of Blues team-mate Wayne Bridge.
The Chelsea number 26 said the abuse was nothing he had not heard before and laughingly twice told Ferdinand to "f*** off".
Terry said he also said "Yeah, yeah", but Ferdinand then accused him of making the racist slur.
It all happened almost simultaneously, he said. At this point, and referring to footage of the incident played in court, Terry said his demeanour changed and he sarcastically repeated "black c***" before angrily calling Ferdinand a "f****** knobhead" for levelling the accusation.
The father-of-two will appear at court at 10am.
Related Chelsea News