Terry keeps counsel over captaincy
There will be no word from John Terry on Thursday after the under-fire Chelsea captain said he would not be speaking publicly about his future as England captain before meeting with coach Fabio Capello.
Terry on Wednesday issued a brief statement in response to the continued interest in him following a media storm over alleged indiscretions in his private life, vowing to keep his silence until speaking with Capello. The 29-year-old has faced calls for his resignation as England skipper following allegations that he had an affair with the ex-partner of former club-mate and fellow international Wayne Bridge.
Phil Hall, Terry's spokesman, said: "John Terry asked me to make it clear that he has made absolutely no statement about his future as England captain. He is keeping his own counsel until he speaks to England manager Fabio Capello and then Mr Capello will decide what announcement will be made."
Hall was speaking following reports that claimed Terry would not offer to resign.
The Football Association stated earlier in the week that the issue of whether or not Terry was still a suitable leader would be a matter for Capello alone.
Capello has been recuperating in Switzerland after a recent knee operation but is due to return to England on Friday.
The Italian is now likely to meet Terry before travelling to Poland for the qualifying draw for Euro 2012 this weekend.
England are next in action when they face Egypt in a friendly on March 3 and ordinarily it would be expected that Terry and Bridge, now at Manchester City, would be selected in the squad.
Terry has played twice for Chelsea since the storm broke, suffering a torrent of abuse from supporters at both Burnley and Hull.
After Tuesday's 1-1 draw with the Tigers, club manager Carlo Ancelotti said: "If he needs a holiday I will give him a holiday. If he doesn't need a holiday then he will play against Cardiff. You will see the line-up then."
Related Chelsea News