- Chelsea News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Ten things Shakhtar that Chelsea need to know
Author: David Smith Published : 23 Oct 2012 10:20:38
Ten things you should know about Chelsea’s Champions League opponents
1. The club became the first Ukrainian club to win the UEFA Cup in 2009, the last year before the competition was revamped as the Europa League.
2. They are one of only two Ukrainian clubs, the other being Dynamo Kyiv, to have won a major UEFA competition.
3. In October of 1995, a bombing-assassination took place at the team's stadium, killing team president Akhat Bragin. In the year that followed Rinat Akhmetov took over as president and subsequently invested heavily in the club.
4. They won their first ever Ukrainian Premier League title in the 2001-02 season, winning by a single point over Dynamo Kyiv.
5. They won their second Premier League title in the 2004-05 season. They lost to Dynamo Kyiv in the inaugural Ukrainian Super Cup tournament in 2004.
6. They retained the Premier League in the 2005-06 season, avenging the defeat to Dynamo Kyiv in the previous season's Super Cup by defeating them on penalties to win their first ever Super Cup title.
7. Shakhtar's attendance levels at league matches have continually risen over the years to a point where they averaged 36,983 spectators over the 2011-12 Premier League season.
8. They won the Premier League and Ukrainian Cup in the 2011-12 season. Shakhtar striker Yevhen Seleznyov topped the goal scoring charts in the league, with 14 goals.
9. The construction of their new stadium, Donbass Arena was opened on 29 August 2009. The stadium has a capacity of 50,149 and has been awarded a UEFA five star rating.
10. A mascot mole (moles is a nickname for the club) entertains spectators during home matches.