skip to content

Sturridge for England - AVB

More

17 Oct 2011 06:44:00

Sturridge for England - AVB

Andre Villas-Boas is confident Daniel Sturridge will break into the England squad if he maintains his stunning Chelsea form. The clamour for Sturridge to be handed his first senior international call-up grew on Saturday after the striker scored his fourth goal in four Premier League games this season, this time in a 3-1 win over Everton. The 22-year-old, who has been one of the stars of 2011, was last week touted as a possible replacement for Wayne Rooney in England's European Championship group matches next summer following the Manchester United star's three-match ban. Sturridge has so far been overlooked by Fabio Capello, although he was in the provisional squad for this month's final qualifier in Montenegro and appears certain to be included for November's friendly double-header against Spain and Sweden. Blues boss Villas-Boas said: "I don't want to influence any kind of decision but, eventually, any English player who is performing can get a call-up for the national team. "He was pre-selected, eventually he was not selected for the final squad, but that means that he is close and that it can happen for him." He added: "He plays for a top club in the world so I don't see any reason why not." Rooney's ban has led some to speculate England boss Fabio Capello might not take him to next summer's finals, with Sturridge seen as a potential beneficiary. But the Chelsea star is in no doubt the nation's talisman will be on the plane to Poland and Ukraine - he just hopes to be there too. "I think Rooney's going to go regardless because he's the best striker," Sturridge said. "He's one of the world's best strikers. "I don't think, for myself, I've ever thought I'm going to go because Rooney's not going, or anything like that. "He's been doing it week in, week out at one of the biggest clubs in the world." Villas-Boas has given Sturridge his big break at Chelsea this season after the forward endured limited opportunities under Carlo Ancelotti, who loaned him out to Bolton for the second half of last season. That gave the striker the first-team football he craved and he did enough to convince new manager Villas-Boas of his abilities. He also convinced Bolton boss Owen Coyle - a good friend of Villas-Boas - to attempt another loan, a move that was politely but firmly rebuffed. Villas-Boas said: "I think we always wanted to see him, and that's why we decided to bring him back to our training camp and assess him and make the wise decision." Sturridge's goal on Saturday helped Chelsea maintain their 100% home record this season and kept them in the thick of the title race. They now trail Manchester United by just one point and are three adrift of new leaders Manchester City. A win at QPR on Sunday would see them move at least level on points with the side who ends the same day's Manchester derby in second place. They still have an inferior goal difference to both clubs but Villas-Boas said: "It's matchday eight and still a lot of things can happen. We are near, we are not far away in terms of goalscoring." He added: "I don't recall a Premier League like this for a couple of years, with three teams so tight together. "It means that the Premier League has become more competitive and more teams are challenging for the title."


Team_Talk

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

advertisement

Related Chelsea News

advertisement

advertisment