New Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has slammed reports which suggested he told Manchester United they would not be able to stop Cristiano Ronaldo from joining Real Madrid.
Reports over the weekend claimed Scolari told United they were powerless to prevent the 23-year-old winger from joining the Spanish giants in a world record £80million deal.
The pair have spent the last month together at Euro 2008 with the out-going Portugal coach being quoted as saying: "He is so strong mentally and he is in control of his own destiny - and because of that Manchester United can do nothing to hurt him."
However Scolari, who will officially take charge at Stamford Bridge on July 1, has angrily denied making the comments in a bid to prevent a row between himself and United.
"Luiz Felipe Scolari denies having made any of the declarations printed concerning the future of Cristiano Ronaldo," read a statement from the Portuguese FA.
"Furthermore, the national team coach has not made any contact with the media since the end of the match between Portugal and Germany when he spoke about the quarter-finals of Euro 2008.
"Luiz Felipe Scolari regrets that his name is being used in connection with speculation and lies, and takes this opportunity to deny in advance any alleged declarations used by the media without their authenticity being thoroughly confirmed."
Meanwhile, the 59-year-old Brazilian has also revealed his unhappiness at being referred to as "Big Phil" by the British tabloid press.