skip to content

QPR V Chelsea at Loftus Road Stadium : Match Preview

28 Jan 2012 07:54:54

QPR V Chelsea at Loftus Road Stadium : Match Preview

Hughes eyes more new recruits Mark Hughes wants more new faces at QPR before the transfer window shuts next week. 


The Welshman replaced Neil Warnock at the Loftus Road helm earlier this month and has made no secret of his intention to bring in reinforcements. AC Milan left-back Taye Taiwo and Manchester City's Nedum Onuoha were drafted in this week, while the Rs were thwarted in moves for Brazilian duo Alex and Henrique. Hughes has been linked with a host of other players and hopes there is more business to be done, with some reports suggesting a move for Wigan's Hugo Rodallega could be on the cards. "I think there was some talk of that," Hughes said when asked about the striker. "As you can imagine there are a lot of conversations going on at the moment. "Forward players, midfield players, defenders - that is what happens in the January window. "In terms of concrete movement on things it really isn't worth discussing individual things until they put the kit on and start training with us. "January is what it is and is a time when you have conversations with people in regards to the position of players at people's clubs. "Sometimes those conversations are misinterpreted as strong interest." Hughes was also questioned about interest in Tottenham midfielder Steven Pienaar and Wigan's Victor Moses to which he responded: "These are all names that get bandied about. "If you looked at the list of all the players in my office we would be here for a long time." One player Hughes confirmed an interest in is Mali international Samba Diakite. 

Press Association Sport revealed yesterday that QPR are in talks to sign the Nancy defensive midfielder and Hughes hopes a deal can be thrashed out. "We are hoping to progress that," he said. "He is a player I like and I think he will help us. "We're hopeful that the conversations we're having will lead to something but nothing is confirmed as yet." QPR will be without a host of first-team players for the FA Cup fourth round tie against west London rivals Chelsea. Akos Buzsaky is struggling to feature with an Achilles injury, while Danny Gabbidon, Matthew Connolly and Heidar Helguson are also doubts. Strikers Jay Bothroyd (groin) and DJ Campbell (hamstring) are definitely sidelined, while Armand Traore and Adel Taarabt are on international duty. New signing Taiwo is also unavailable as he waits for his work permit to be rubber-stamped, although Onuoha could make his debut. 

Meanwhile, Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas has insisted QPR's Anton Ferdinand should shake hands with John Terry before the game. Villas-Boas said he hoped and expected Ferdinand not to snub Terry, despite allegations the Rangers defender was the victim of a racist slur from the England captain during October's Barclays Premier League game between the sides. The players square off for the first time since then, and just four days before the court case begins in which Terry stands accused of abusing Ferdinand. Ferdinand is reportedly agonising over whether to shake Terry's hand before tomorrow's match, amid fears it could be viewed as hypocritical. Asked if it was important he did so, Villas-Boas said: "Extremely important, extremely important." He added: "This game is based on good values more than anything else. "These players should continue to promote these good values." Villas-Boas confirmed the matter had been discussed with Terry, who denies having racially abused Ferdinand. The Chelsea boss said: "Everybody has been having conversations, from the top, to the players, to the manager." Frank Lampard will miss the match at Loftus Road with the calf tear he suffered at Norwich on Saturday, while John Obi Mikel remains out with a hamstring problem.

QPR V Chelsea - view commentary, squad, and statictics of the game live.


PA

Sponsored links