skip to content

Porto would block Andre Villas-Boas exit to Chelsea

More

11 May 2011 08:41:05

Porto would block Andre Villas-Boas exit to Chelsea

SharePorto have signalled their intention to keep Andre Villas-Boas out of the clutches of Chelsea and the other giants of European football by declaring they want him to stay 'for many years'. Villas-Boas, the hottest young prospect in management, has been heavily touted as a potential replacement for Blues boss Carlo Ancelotti, who appears resigned to losing his job at the end of the season. But Porto president Pinto da Costa has told the 33-year-old Villas-Boas he can fulfil all his immediate ambitions with the Portuguese club. Hands off: Chelsea have been warned by Porto to leave their highly-rated boss Andre Villas-Boas alone Da Costa said: 'Out of the thousands of times that he has been asked if he would be leaving for another club, he has always responded that he is in his dream position already.' Turning to Villas-Boas, he added: 'We want to see you happy in this job for many years, and we will provide you with the conditions so that this season is the first of many with the success that we all want.' Villas-Boas, who worked at Chelsea as a scout under Jose Mourinho, has been dubbed the new 'Special One' after breaking several of his former mentor's records in a staggering first season at the Estadio do Dragao. The club last month clinched the league title with five matches to spare and have won 26 and drawn three of their 29 games in the competition ahead of Saturday's season finale at Maritimo. Special ones: Villas-Boas has been likened to one of his Porto predecessors, Real Madrid coach Mourinho (R) They have also enjoyed a record-breaking run to the Europa League final, in which they will play Portuguese rivals Braga a week on Wednesday. Porto have already moved once this season to tie down Villas-Boas, extending the two-year contract he signed when joining the club by another year back in December. Despite his remarkable rise, appointing Villas-Boas would represent something of a gamble for Chelsea, although there are reports he could be asked to work under a more experienced director of football. It appears the Blues would like that to be Guus Hiddink if the Dutchman decides against a return to frontline club management. Under pressure: Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti is in danger of losing his job following a potential trophyless campaign The 64-year-old reportedly remains billionaire owner Roman Abramovich's number one target but he is under contract with the Turkey national team until the European Championship finals and is renowned for refusing to walk away from jobs early. The Turkish Football Federation last month insisted they would snub any move by Abramovich for Hiddink although that might change if he loses next month's vital qualifier in Belgium and is effectively hounded out by disgruntled supporters. Gianfranco Zola is strongly linked with a coaching role in any new regime, while Marco van Basten has been mentioned as an alternative to Hiddink and Villas-Boas.  Ancelotti must stay! Axed Wilkins says Chelsea must not sack under-fire bossMum's the word! Kaka set for Chelsea after mother hints at London moveCole puts England on alert after pledging to play in African charity tieAll the latest Chelsea news, features and opinion  Explore more:People: Gianfranco Zola, Roman Abramovich, Carlo Ancelotti Places: Turkey, Belgium


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

Related Chelsea News

advertisement

advertisment