- Chelsea News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
No Chelsea approach for Benitez
Published : 23 Feb 2012 11:47:01Rss feed
Rafael Benitez's agent has reiterated the Spaniard's desire to return to work in England but stressed there had been no contact from Chelsea.
Reports suggested the west London club had approached Benitez with a view to him replacing the under-fire Andre Villas-Boas at Stamford Bridge.
But Manuel Garcia Quilon said: "There is nothing official. It's only media speculation and we have not been approached by Chelsea. We would only evaluate that possibility once there is an offer."
Chelsea have won just two of their last 10 Barclays Premier League games and slumped to a 3-1 defeat at Napoli in the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Tuesday night.
And with reports of dressing room revolt, it has been suggested Blues owner Roman Abramovich is considering a coaching change.
Benitez is available having been out of work since his sacking by Inter Milan in December 2010 and has a track record of success having led Liverpool to Champions League and FA Cup glory and Valencia to two La Liga titles.
Meanwhile, Bolton boss Owen Coyle has given his backing to Villas-Boas, whom he is convinced will be a success at Stamford Bridge.
Coyle, who took his UEFA Pro License coaching course alongside the Portuguese, said: "Anybody can have dips in form or have little bits of luck go against them.
"People are talking about Chelsea's results, but if you watched them against Manchester United when they led 3-0 (in the 3-3 league draw at Stamford Bridge earlier this month), I don't think people were questioning anything about that.
"Everyone has an opinion in football and that is why we love it, but I'm pretty sure Andre in the short term will address things and in the long term, there is no doubt he will bring success to Chelsea as far as I am concerned."