- Chelsea News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
More to come from Hazard - Di Matteo
Roberto Di Matteo has backed Eden Hazard to get even better for Chelsea following the 32million man's stunning Barclays Premier League debut.
Hazard made a dream start to life in England's top flight during Sunday's opening 2-0 win at Wigan, claiming two assists inside the opening seven minutes at the DW Stadium. And Blues fans only have to wait until Wednesday to see the 21-year-old's home debut when Reading visit Stamford Bridge.
Reflecting on Hazard's performance on Sunday, manager Di Matteo said: "He left his mark on the game. In pre-season, he showed that kind of quality in training. Now, in the Premier League, hopefully there's more to come from him."
That could depend on how Hazard deals with the kind of rough treatment dished out to him by Wigan on Sunday, something he shrugged off afterwards.
Di Matteo was also unconcerned that his new playmaker could find himself a marked man.
He said: "He was certainly targeted, but I don't think there was any malicious intent by the Wigan players.
"It's just difficult to mark players like that."
It is just as well Hazard looks like settling in so quickly, with Oscar having only arrived at Chelsea last week and fellow new boy Marko Marin sidelined by a hamstring injury.
Di Matteo revealed that Marin may have to wait almost another month to make his debut.
"It won't be long for Marin, but it might not be before the international break," he said.
Related Chelsea News