Gennaro Gattuso has offered to take a pay cut at his beloved club AC Milan in order to prolong his San Siro career.
The World Cup-winning midfielder had been strongly linked with a move to Chelsea following the Blues' appointment of former Rossoneri boss Carlo Ancelotti.
However, the 31-year-old has two years remaining on his current deal and will reduce his salary in order to remain at club where he has now spent 10 years.
"Wednesday night I was at dinner with Gattuso who told us that he was ready to reduce his salary," said Milan general manager Adriano Galliani.
"He still has two years left on his contract, so it will move to three years, reducing the salary.
"Gattuso is an example, a true man, extraordinary," added Galliani.
Meanwhile, David di Gennaro has returned to the club as their fully owned player after a 'blind auction' was used to buy out Genoa's half of the player's rights.
The method involves both clubs making an offer oblivious to the other club's bid before governing body Lega Calcio award the highest bidder with the player's ownership.
The Rossoneri have also beaten off competition from a number of Serie A clubs to the signing of former Treviso 18-yer-old striker Gianmarco Zigoni.