- Chelsea News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Di Matteo in dark over Chelsea future
Published : 14 May 2012 05:47:00Rss feed
Roberto Di Matteo has admitted he has no plans to meet with the Chelsea hierarchy to discuss his future.
The interim first-team coach oversaw his side's final day Premier League victory over Blackburn Rovers in what could be his last game in charge at Stamford Bridge.
Di Matteo will lead the club into their meeting with Bayern Munich in the Champions League final at the Allianz Arena on May 19th.
Club officials have always maintained they will not decide on a permanent successor to Andre Villas-Boas until after the end of the season but Di Matteo does not believe his chances of landing the job hinge on the outcome of the Bayern clash.
Asked if he thought that success or failure in Munich would influence the decision, he said: "I don't think so. But I have no problem with it."
And admitting no firm arrangements had been made to talk about the club's next move, he added: "My wife has booked our holidays. And I am looking forward to it. There are mobile phones. They work everywhere these days."
While the manager's position remains unresolved, Di Matteo admitted the final day of the season had underlined his connection with the club he once played for.
"It's been great. We have had a very intense nine weeks together and it has been fantastic and we are all looking forward to next Saturday as well," he said.
"It's been very emotional because I feel very responsible with this club because I have played here and been part of it so it's been a nice day."
Didier Drogba's future also remains unresolved, with the striker so far yet to agree a new deal.
Drogba has so far rejected the club's offer of a one-year contract and Di Matteo said: "I don't know if it's going to be his last game here. I think that's something the club will deal with, with the player. But I'm sure we will know whatever it is."
Florent Malouda was withdrawn in the first half with hamstring injury and Di Matteo said: "We took him off as a precaution. He has a little tight hamstring but hopefully he will recover as soon as possible.
"It was a risk to play whoever was going to play today so we wanted to get through without any injuries and more or less we did both."
He said: "They are getting better day by day. We are going to try and push them from tomorrow. Probably it will get to the day of the game.
"We are going to try and push them this week in training and see how far we can push them. But everyone will come to Munich anyway."
Ayegbeni Yakubu scored Blackburn's consolation and manager Steve kean will fly out to India this week to meet Venky's, the club owners, and review a season that ended in relegation.
Kean, who remains confident he will keep his job, said: "We will continue the discussions we have had previously.
"Most of the young players are under contract and we will look to build on that. It will be difficult to keep those out of contract and David Hoilett has rejected the offer of a new contract.
"He will go and there are clubs from England and abroad looking at him.
"I can understand the frustration of the supporters but there have been plenty of clubs who have been forced to take one step back to take two steps forward."
Related Chelsea News