skip to content

Di Matteo backs misfiring Torres

More

22 Sep 2012 11:17:37

Di Matteo backs misfiring Torres

Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo has leapt to the defence of Spaniard Fernando Torres amid criticism that the misfiring striker has barely managed a shot on target in his last three matches.

Torres, who joined Chelsea from Liverpool for £50 million in January 2011, had been slated by former team boss Ruud Gullit who said it felt "like Chelsea are playing with 10 men" after Wednesday's Champions League draw with Juventus.

But Di Matteo said: "We're happy with him (Torres). Even when he doesn't score, he provides and works hard for the team and he's always an outlet for us.

"At the moment, there is no issue for us.

"He's full of confidence and he's playing and he's playing well and he's scoring goals; not in the last couple of games but he's scored.

"He's always busy, keeping defenders busy and moving and doing the right stuff. I don't see any problem you are talking about."

With Daniel Sturridge out injured, Torres is currently Chelsea's only recognised centre-forward, which means they cannot substitute him unless they were to play one of their midfielders out of position.

But Di Matteo added: "That's not in discussion at the moment. We have a forward and we're happy with our forward.

"Hopefully, Daniel Sturridge will be fit and back soon as well. At the moment, our system is playing with a forward."


AFP

Sponsored links

Facebook comments

Related Chelsea News

advertisement

advertisment