skip to content

Bridge calls time on England as full-back fears 'divisive' Terry reunion

25 Feb 2010 17:07:31

Bridge calls time on England as full-back fears 'divisive' Terry reunion

Wayne Bridge has pulled himself out of contention for England and the World Cup after revelations over John Terry's affair with his former partner. In a statement released by his lawyers. Manchester City left-back Bridge said his position in the squad is 'untenable and potentially divisive' and he has decided to make himself unavailable for selection. Enlarge Enlarge  Controversy: Wayne Bridge (left) and John Terry pictured on Thursday morning BRIDGE'S STATEMENT 'Ihave thought long and hard about my position in the England footballteam in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks. 'It has always been an honour to play for England. However, aftercareful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable andpotentially divisive. 'Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order toavoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to putmyself forward for selection. 'I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa.' It leaves Fabio Capello without both his first-choice left-backs for Wednesday's friendly with Egypt, with Chelsea'sAshley Cole sidelined by a long-term injury, but more alarmingly thissummer's World Cup which Bridge has confirmed he will not play in. He said: 'Sadly, for the sake of the team and what would be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection. 'I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks and have today informed the management of this decision. 'I wish the team all the best in South Africa.' The move comes after lurid details about a relationship betweenBridge's former partner Vanessa Perroncel and Chelsea defender JohnTerry came to light last month. Bridge played with Terry for Chelsea and England but was left shocked when he discovered his team-mate had an affair with his former partner. It occurred after Bridge's move to Manchester City just over a year ago. VIDEO: Bridge walks away from England...Terry was ultimately stripped of the England captaincy by Capello,who earlier this week spoke of his optimism that Bridge would continueto play for his country. However, after a lot of soul searching, the 29-year-old feels it is an impossible situation for him to contemplate, after Sportsmail exclusively revealed today that defender will not shake Terry's hand when the pair clash at Stamford Bridge this weekend in their first encounter since the revelations appeared. 'Potentially divisive': Bridge has rejected the chance to play alongside Terry It was the delicate balancing act Capello knew he was carrying out when heretained Terry in his squad whilst removing the coveted armband. The Italian hoped Bridge would remain involved and was scheduled to see both men in action on Saturday, when Chelsea entertain Manchester City. Roberto Mancini spoke about the certainty of Bridge's return to theEngland fold but there was always a feeling the full-back held adifferent opinion. News that he would not even shake Terry's hand prior to thisweekend's game hardly gave credence to the belief any clear differencescould be patched up. As Bridge has not formally announced his retirement from internationalfootball, it can only be concluded that he would consider a return should Terrynot be involved. Woman trouble: Bridge's ex Vanessa Perroncel had an affair with John Terry Terry must now carry with him the additional burden of knowing his own actions have resulted in someone he used to class as a close friend missing the biggest tournament any professional can be involved in. Quite apart from dealing with that fall-out, Capello must find himself alternatives at left-back given Ashley Cole is presently ruled out for three months with a broken ankle. Attention will immediately fall on Everton's Leighton Baines, who has yet to win a senior cap but has been in outstanding form for his club, and Aston Villa's Stephen Warnock.   Warnock, 28, was named in Capello's squad for the recent friendly defeat to Brazil but his only international experience amounts to six minutes as a substitute against Trinidad and Tobago in June 2008. However, the England coach will get to see him in action during Sunday's Carling Cup final between Aston Villa and Manchester United at Wembley and, unless Capello decided to shunt Joleon Lescott into a full-back role, he would be the favourite to face Egypt.  Bridge controversy will not wreck England's World Cup bid, says FA chief EXCLUSIVE: Bridge to snub Terry gesture in Chelsea's Man City clashFamily comes first for Tevez as Man City striker returns to face ChelseaManchester City and Arsenal snubbed as Yaya Toure vows to remain a Barcelona boyMANCHESTER CITY FC


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links

advertisement

Related Chelsea News

advertisement

advertisment