- Chelsea News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Ancelotti ready for Manchester United showdown
Published : 01 May 2011 20:00:39
Carlo Ancelotti has insisted his blunder in picking Fernando Torres for Chelsea's Champions League defeat at Manchester United would have no impact on his team selection for Sunday's must-win Barclays Premier League clash at Old Trafford.
Chelsea remain in the title race after a fortunate 2-1 win over Tottenham, with Frank Lampard's equaliser given despite the whole of the ball appearing not to cross the line.
"To make a decision about the line-up, I have to forget the past," said Ancelotti. "I have to look at the next training session."
He added: "It's important to have players in good form, in good condition. If we want to win there, we have to use intensity."
Ancelotti denied recalling Torres had disrupted Chelsea's attack, which had been looking so effective with Didier Drogba flanked by Salomon Kalou and Florent Malouda.
"I think that the problem was not the position of Fernando," Ancelotti said. "The first 20 minutes were good, Fernando was involved.
"After that we had more difficulties to pass the ball to him. But his performance individually was good and Didier also sacrificed a bit because he played a little bit behind him, but he played for the team."
Any unhappiness Drogba may have felt about being played out of position was nothing compared to that of substitute Kalou, who could not even bring himself to celebrate his 89th-minute winner after being dropped for Torres.
Captain John Terry played down any talk of a rift, saying: "No arguing amongst the players, no disappointments. We understand it's a team game and they've all got so much to give to this team. That could be key."