- Celtic News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Scottish Premier Division News
Lennon - Threats won't deter me
Neil Lennon believes he should not have to put up with threats to his safety but is adamant that they will not drive him away from Celtic.
Strathclyde Police launched an investigation earlier in the week after parcel bombs "designed to cause harm" were sent to the Celtic boss, Paul McBride QC and Labour politician Trish Godman. Bullets were sent to Lennon earlier in the season and a suspicious package addressed to him was intercepted last month.
Ahead of Sunday's Old Firm derby at Ibrox, Lennon said: "Anyone in any walk of life shouldn't have to deal with something like this."
He added: "It is uncomfortable, you see your face every hour on the hour on the news and after a while you start thinking 'is that me they are talking about?' And I had to deal with that on the day of a very important game (against Kilmarnock).
"I'd like to thank the police for all their briefing and the professionalism they had shown and the security they have given me over the last week, 10 days, they have been absolutely fantastic and made life as easy as possible under the circumstances.
"I've had this for 10 years but I don't want to say you get used to it because you never do.
"It's been with me during my time as a player, my time as a coach and my time as a manager. But it is not going to deter me from doing what I want to do.
"For me this is the greatest privilege in my life, to manage this football club and the support I've had from the fans and my close family and friends has been my strength."
Asked if this would have happened at any club other than Celtic, the Irishman replied: "It wouldn't, no. And it's not because it's my aggressive behaviour on the pitch any more.
"A lot was said about that when I played and I think you all know the reasons why these things are happening now. It's good that people are talking about it and we will get something done about it."
Related Celtic News