Celtic lose more title ground

13 February 2010 04:55
Celtic's Scottish Premier League title hopes suffered a fresh blow after Tony Mowbray's side were held to a draw following an eight-goal thriller with Aberdeen. The Bhoys could have taken advantage of Rangers not being in action until Sunday by cutting their lead at the top of the table to five points. However, they allowed a spirited Aberdeen side to come from behind on three occasions at Pittodrie to drop further points in what has been an inconsistent season. Diomansy Kamara and Marc-Antoine Fortune scored for the visitors in the first half, but the whistle went with the Dons back on level terms following replies from Michael Paton and Darren Mackie. Robbie Keane and Aiden McGeady made it 4-2 to Celtic, but a late brace from Steve MacLean - his first from the penalty spot - ensured that honours ended even. Celtic's miserable afternoon was compounded by the late sending off of defender Darren O'Dea. Rangers could now move 10 points clear at the top of the table should they overcome Hibernian on Sunday. Elsewhere, Steven Pressley's first game in charge of Falkirk ended in disappointment after his new side lost 3-2 at the hands of Hearts. The former Scotland defender replaced Eddie May in the hot-seat earlier in the week but goals from Lee Wallace, Ian Black and Jesus Manuel Suso put his side to the sword at Tynecastle. Kilmarnock twice came from behind before edging out St Johnstone 3-2 at Rugby Park. Chris Maguire and Garry Hay had restored parity for the home side, before Kevin Kyle popped up with a 77th minute winner for Jimmy Calderwood's resurgent outfit. Two goals in the final seven minutes from Danny Swanson and David Goodwillie helped Dundee United snatch a dramatic 2-1 win over St Mirren. Struggling Saints had looked on course for a valuable three points after Michael Higdon fired them in front after 66 minutes at St Mirren Park. Meanwhile, Hamilton and Motherwell shared the spoils following a goalless draw at New Douglas Park.

Source: ESA