Killer jailed for just 3 years

23 December 2011 12:38
The man who killed Mike Dye at Wembley was jailed for three years this week with a likely release on license after 18 months. He was also banned from football for 6 years.

Ian Mytton of Redditch, Worcs pleaded guilty to manslaughter last month. He handed himself into the police a few days after Michael Dye was struck outside Wembley Stadium in September. The blow was described as 'sickening'.

Judge Anthony Morris said: "As you (Mytton) said in your letter to me - 'the two people, Michael Dye and myself were just going to a football match, for one of us to lose his life and for one of us to end up in prison is heartbreaking' - and I would agree with that."

The judge added: "It is a tragedy, most of all for the family and friends of Michael Dye.

"They have lost a husband, a brother, a father and a friend."

He described the attack as unprovoked and the force of the blow as considerable, adding that Mr Dye was "pole-axed" from the force of the punch and fell backwards without trying to stop himself, hitting his head on the ground and suffering massive brain damage.

In a statement read in court, Mikey's wife Nathalie Dye, said: "The man who caused Mike's death might as well have killed me that night.

"Part of me died alongside Mike.

"The only thing to look forward to is being with my darling husband once again."

She added: "Since I lost my wonderful husband my world has been crushed. It has been a living hell.

"I am unable to eat for fear of having a moment of enjoyment without my husband."

Prosecutor Philip Bennetts QC said Mrs Dye had shed a lot of weight and now weighs seven stone.

"I suffer from anxiety attacks and I have had to move house," she said.

Mrs Dye said her husband "was the ideal hero and role model" to his children.

"Even the dog still sleeps in the last jumper Mike was wearing," she added.

Mr Dye's sister, Katherine Dye, said: "I can never forget the day me and my parents were taken to the mortuary to identify his body.

"It is the last thing I see at night." Mike Dye. RIP