Cardiff 2-2 Burnley: Match Report

28 November 2015 05:31

Matthew Connolly's late own goal earns Burnley a point in Cardiff

Matthew Connolly's stoppage-time own goal handed Burnley a point from a 2-2 Sky Bet Championship draw at Cardiff.

Michael Keane's header deflected off Cardiff defender Connolly in the third minute of stoppage time to secure a share of the spoils at the Cardiff City Stadium.

It capped a late comeback by the Clarets, who only scored their first in the 85th minute through Rouwen Hennings.

Cardiff looked set to clinch a fourth win in five games at home following goals by Aron Gunnarsson and Sean Morrison.

But a late free-kick sparked a desperate scramble in the Cardiff penalty area and the late goal.

Burnley arrived in Cardiff on the back of an eight-game unbeaten run though were again without Wales striker Sam Vokes, who failed a late fitness test.

And their former Cardiff goalkeeper Tom Heaton was pressed into action in the opening quarter.

He spilled an early effort from Kenwyne Jones and, from the resulting corner, was then forced to tip Sean Morrison's close-range header onto the crossbar.

Tony Watt was handed a start just three days after arriving on loan from Charlton and he gave an immediate glimpse of his ability.

The former Celtic striker drifted in-field past two defenders before unleashing a shot from outside the box that was only narrowly wide of Heaton's post.

Craig Noone brought another save out of Heaton when his shot deflected off Burnley centre-back Keane. The goalkeeper was forced to back-track and again tip the looping shot onto the crossbar.

Yet twice Burnley came close to catching Cardiff on the counter-attack.

Andre Gray had scored 11 goals in his previous 12 games, but almost set-up the opener on 35 minutes.

The striker stepped past on-rushing goalkeeper David Marshall before finding George Boyd unmarked inside the box. Boyd's sliding effort was cleared off the line by Connolly.

Three minutes later and Cardiff's defenders were again at full stretch. Morrison blocked Gray's shot on the post, with Boyd following up with an effort that glanced off Lee Peltier and went over the bar.

Cardiff were first to finally find a finishing touch when they snatched the lead moments later through Gunnarsson.

The Iceland midfielder headed his first goal of the season from Joe Ralls' free-kick four minutes before half-time.

Gunnarsson probed for a second early in the second half but failed to beat Heaton from 30 yards.

Joe Mason then fired straight at Burnley's keeper from far closer range after finding space inside the penalty area just moments after replacing Watt.

But Cardiff scored their second from the resulting corner on 64 minutes when Morrison rose highest to nod home.

Burnley dominated the final quarter and found a way back when Hennings turned and fired home from Boyd's pass before Connolly helped them bag a point.

Source: PA