Stay of execution for under-fire Cagliari coach
Cagliari president Massimo Cellino appeared to give under-fire coach Massimo Ficcadenti his backing despite the Sardinians' latest defeat on Sunday.
Cagliari are the only team in Italy's 20-team Serie A not to have won a match so far having drawn twice and lost four times including Sunday's 2-1 reverse at the Stadio Is Arenas to league new boys Pescara.
Reports Monday suggested Ficcadenti, who replaced Roberto Donadoni in August 2011, was sacked three months later and then re-hired in March, could follow former Palermo coach Giuseppe Sannino out the exit door.
However Cellino appeared to give his under-fire coach his backing, at least for now.
"I haven't made any decisions, I haven't talked with the coach and I don't know if he is to blame," Cellino said according to ANSA.
"It would be to easy to say it was (his fault) but I would be lying if I said so."
Sunday's match was the first time Cagliari had allowed fans into their new stadium, although because it is still being refurbished only a fraction of the 16,000 capacity were allocated tickets.
Cagliari hit the headlines a fortnight ago when in spite of a federation directive for Cagliari to host Roma behind closed doors, due to the ongoing work, Cellino invited fans to attend.
Thousands showed up and in the face of police fears concerning security the match was postponed hours before kick-off.
Cellino was heavily criticised by police and league officials handed a 3-0 victory to Roma.
Those three goals currently count for Roma and have also been conceded by Cagliari. A Serie A official told AFP Monday a decision on Cagliari's ongoing appeal could be made next week.
Related Cagliari News