Jones is with the Clarets in Ireland

12 July 2013 12:05
Former Manchester United, Preston, Derby, Wolves, Wigan and Blackburn midfielder David Jones was on board for yesterday's flight to Cork with the Burnley squad.

There has been much speculation in the last couple of days regarding Jones but the news is that he is part of the squad in Cork as the player and club take the opportunity to take a look at each other with a view to him making his move to Burnley a permanent one ahead of the new season.

He'll be joined by former Falkirk and Huddersfield midfielder Scott Arfield whose place on the trip has already been confirmed and the rest of the Burnley squad, with the exception of David Edgar who is still in America for the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Southport born Jones started his career at Man United but he was never able to make the breakthrough at Old Trafford. His debut came in a 1-0 League Cup win against Arsenal in 2004, replacing another future Claret Chris Eagles with eleven minutes remaining.

It was at Preston where he first got some regular first team football. He joined them on loan from August 2005 until the end of the calendar year and was a first team regular for them. In September 2005, alongside such as Graham Alexander and David Nugent, he made his first appearance against Burnley for Preston. That loan was to set up his first permanent transfer a year later.

He spent time on loan with Dutch club NEC Nijmegen but in November 2006 he rejoined his former Preston boss Billy Davies at Derby. It was a two month emergency loan deal until the transfer window opened, during which Davies spent £1 million to take him to Pride Park on a permanent basis.

He was an influential member of their promotion team, and played in both games against Burnley, but struggled in the following season as they went straight back down with only one win all season. He struggled to hold down a place under new boss Paul Jewell and subsequently moved to Wolves in the summer of 2008.

He played in the Molineux fixture against us, on the day the result was decided by referee Darren Deadman, and was a regular as he added another Premier League promotion, this time as champions.

Injuries curtailed his appearances over the next two Premier League seasons but he was still offered a new deal by Mick McCarthy at the end of the 2010/11 season. He couldn't agree terms and instead signed for Wigan.

He played in 16 Premier League games in the 2011/12 season and last season had added another 13 by early February when he played in their 4-1 defeat at Chelsea. It proved to be his last game for Wigan and he spent the rest of the season with Blackburn on loan, again playing against us in the 1-1 draw at Ewood, and was initially expected to sign for them when he was released by Wigan.

But we can now expect to see him in a Burnley shirt at Turner's Cross in three days time as the Clarets take on Cork City in our second pre-season game.

Source: Clarets Mad