Ings brace helps Clarets to big win

20 July 2013 09:23
Two goals for Danny Ings, to add to the one he scored in Cork last Monday, helped Burnley to coast to a comfortable 4-1 win against Carlisle United at Brunton Park this afternoon.

Ings, again showing excellent form, scored early in the Cork game and here he'd netted twice within the first 22 minutes of the start, and that after Ross Wallace had given us the lead. Junior Stanislas, another finding his form, added our fourth in a quieter second half as Sean Dyche made several changes to the team.

Ben Mee, as expected, was missing after coming off injured in Ireland and fellow full back Kieran Trippier was also missing with a slight hamstring strain, the sort of problem that wouldn't keep him out of a competitive fixture.

Two goals for Danny Ings

Luke O'Neill and Danny Lafferty got the full back berths with Michael Duff and Jason Shackell in the centre in front of goalkeeper Tom Heaton. The midfield four was Ross Wallace, Dean Marney, David Jones and Stanislas with Ings and Charlie Austin up front.

In more overcast conditions than recently, but nevertheless still hot conditions, we started like a house on fire.

We might have got in front after just three minutes. Marney went storming through but was halted by a poor challenge by a Carlisle defender. It was, without doubt, a clear penalty but referee Eddie Ilderton incredibly waved away the claims.

It mattered not. In just about the next forage forward we did go in front and it was due to good work down the left from Austin. He got into the box before pulling the ball back for Wallace who made no mistake from around ten yards.

Carlisle looked to get back in it but Heaton, who has had precious little to do in the first two games, saved easily and from that we went straight down and doubled the lead. Marney played a superb ball through for Ings who calmly slid the ball home for his second pre-season goal.

After Stanislas came close from a free kick it that two quickly became three for Ings and again it was Marney who provided the ammunition for him with a great ball in from the right; Ings hitting a shot home off the post.

It had to quieten down, and it did, but we could still have had more in the first half while Carlisle came very close when Heaton just got enough onto an angled shot from former Liverpool player David Amoo.

Still, 3-0 at half time was an excellent return and fully deserved. We'd certainly stepped things up after the first two games and there were plenty of positives to take.

Right from the start of the second half 3-0 could have become 4-0. A great feature of the first half had been the link up between Stanislas and Ings and in the very first move of the half it was Stanislas who put Ings clear. This time he wasn't quite so accurate with his effort and placed his shot over when he looked a certain scorer.

Marney had set up two goals in the first half but then became the villain when he gave away a penalty. Lee Miller was the player fouled and he took the penalty only to see Heaton beat his effort away.

Stanislas then won a corner which provided a real highlight. Wallace took the right wing kick and found Stanislas deep on the left hand side of the box. He controlled the ball, looked up and placed the perfect chip right into the far postage stamp. The goalkeeper had no chance and neither did the defender who followed the ball into the net.

It was a fantastic goal but we didn't get much chance to celebrate it with Carlisle scoring within a minute. Lewis Guy broke clear and finished well leaving Heaton with no chance.

By then Kevin Long had replaced Duff and it was followed by several more substitutions that, as is always the case, disrupted the game. Even so we looked comfortable and while fans will be celebrating a 4-1 win I'm sure manager Dyche will be quietly pleased at the way his players went about their business.

There were good performances all over the pitch today but Stanislas and Ings were the two who stood out for me with eye catching performances in the first half.

Without doubt it was a much more enjoyable ninety minutes than that witnessed at Morecambe 11 days earlier.

The teams today were;

Carlisle: Mark Gillespie, Brad Potts, Danny Livesey, Mike Edwards, Reece James, David Amoo, Paul Thirlwell (Kyle Dempsey 81), James Berrett (Jack Lynch ht), Matt Robson, Josh Gillies (Lewis Guy ht), Lee Miller (Mark Beck 81). Subs not used: Lewis Brass, Connor Thomson, David Symington, Alex Salmon.

Burnley: Tom Heaton, Luke O'Neill (Alex Coleman 87), Michael Duff (Kevin Long 57), Jason Shackell, Danny Lafferty, Ross Wallace (Keith Treacy 64), Dean Marney (Brian Stock 64), David Jones (Scott Arfield 64), Junior Stanislas (Joseph Mills 76), Danny Ings (Ryan Noble 78), Charlie Austin (Sam Vokes 68). Subs not used: Alex Cisak, David Edgar, Steven Hewitt.

Referee: Eddie Ilderton (Tyne & Wear).

Attendance: 1,976 (including 426 Clarets).

Source: Clarets Mad