Cup game will be on the Tuesday
Published : 15 Jun 2012 10:05:11Rss feed
Burnley's Capital One Cup tie against Port Vale will not be brought forward to the weekend and will go ahead at Vale Park on Tuesday 14th August with a 7:45 p.m. kick off.
The Football League had said they would permit ties to be brought forward to the previous Saturday or Sunday should both clubs support it and it looked a sensible and likely option given that a Saturday game would, undoubtedly, attract a bigger crowd to the game.
We've no game scheduled, our last is the previous Tuesday at Rochdale, but Vale had pencilled in a home game against Tranmere Rovers on the Saturday so it was just a matter of whether they would change things around or even cancel the Tranmere game.
That's been ruled out by Vale boss Micky Adams. On hearing the draw yesterday he said: "It will be a big ask for the players to take on a Championship side, and a good one at that, in our first competitive game of the season.
"They will obviously be big favourites, but we will have a good go and see what we can do. I am hoping there will be a decent crowd, and there could be lots of new faces for them to see. So you never know, there could be an upset."
On the possibility of the game being played at the weekend, Adams added: "Our pre-season games were all set up a while ago, so we won't be changing them now."
Last month former Claret Steve Davis won promotion as manager of Crewe with his son, Burnley born Harry, in the side. Burnley could come face to face with his younger son Joe in this tie. He signed a new two year deal yesterday with Port Vale.
Related Burnley News