Burnley 4-1 Derby: Match Report

25 January 2016 10:34

Burnley run riot in second half to steal a march on promotion rivals Derby

In-form Burnley leapfrogged promotion rivals Derby into third place in the Championship table thanks to a well-deserved 4-1 victory.

Sean Dyche's Clarets were irresistible in the second half as they scored three unanswered goals - two from the penalty spot through Andre Gray and Sam Vokes - to register a crucial fourth victory in their last five games.

Burnley took a first-half lead when Richard Keogh headed into his own net, but Jacob Butterfield immediately replied. After two penalties in five minutes gave Burnley a 3-1 lead early in the second half, Scott Arfield completed the scoring with a deflected effort.

For the stuttering Rams, the result means they are still without a league win since Boxing Day.

It was an end-to-end first period at Turf Moor as both sides served up a treat in front of the TV cameras.

The Rams opened impressively and twice went close inside the opening 10 minutes.

Keogh saw a snapshot well saved down low by Tom Heaton, while Tom Ince went on a trademark jinking run before forcing the Burnley keeper into a smart parry.

The hosts' first chance came after 17 minutes when Stephen Ward hung up a far-post cross for Vokes, who headed straight at keeper Scott Carson.

Former Burnley skipper Jason Shackell then saw a looping header bounce onto the roof of the net as the Rams pressed for an opener.

The game truly burst into life just before the half-hour mark when both sides scored inside the space of a minute.

The Clarets netted first as the retreating Keogh could only head a Matthew Lowton cross into his own net.

Some home fans were still celebrating when the Rams struck back courtesy of an absolute cracker from Butterfield.

The former Norwich midfielder superbly volleyed home his seventh goal of the season from 20 yards after latching on to a hooked pass from Chris Martin.

Derby's Nick Blackman came closest to bagging a third goal of the half when he saw a shot tipped over the crossbar by Heaton.

By the hour mark Burnley were 3-1 in front thanks to taking two penalty chances inside four dramatic minutes.

The hosts regained the lead when Gray slotted home his 17th goal of the season after he had been clumsily bundled over in the box by Keogh.

Then referee Michael Oliver pointed to the spot again when defender Shackell handled a Lowton cross into the box. This time it was Vokes who beat Carson with a second well-struck penalty.

Burnley stormed even further clear in the 66th minute courtesy of a rather fortunate goal from Scott Arfield.

His powerful strike from 25 yards clipped the heel of Shackell and bounced over the stranded Carson.

Ince came closest to grabbing a second goal late on for dejected Derby, while at the other end lively front-man Gray forced Carson into another decent save.

Source: PA