Burnley 3-1 Bristol City: Match Report

06 April 2013 05:31
Burnley 3-1 Bristol City: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Clarets send Robins to the brink

Burnley came from behind at Turf Moor to nudge Bristol City eight points adrift of safety at the foot of the npower Championship with a 3-1 win.

The visitors looked on course for a vital three points when Albert Adomah became the first City player to net on the road since New Year's Day.

But Jason Shackell's header, Chris McCann's first goal since he scored a late winner when the sides met back in October and a late strike from Martin Paterson earned Burnley only their second win in 13 games.

The Clarets did though have goalkeeper Lee Grant to thank for earning them the points though as he pulled off a top-drawer save to keep out Steven Davies' 82nd-minute spot-kick.

It took the home side's attacking duo just two minutes to create the first chance of the match between two out-of-sorts sides with former Bristol City loanee Sam Vokes volleying wide after a lovely flick from top scorer Charlie Austin.

Just four minutes later Austin had two chances in quick succession. First City keeper Tom Heaton pulled off a fantastic stop to deny the former Swindon man from Ross Wallace's cross before the former Cardiff goalkeeper kept out another effort shortly after when Austin was found by Vokes' pinpoint delivery.

Dean Marney returned to the Burnley midfield in place of Marvin Bartley and he was being given a lot of space by the visiting defence and he almost made them pay with a long-range effort that rustled the side netting.

The Robins defence were struggling to cope with Austin and he fired another shot across goal as his side searched for just their second home win in 2013.

But then with their first real chance of note in the 35th minute, City took a shock lead.

A fantastic through ball from Davies found the former Barnet man, making his first start under Sean O'Driscoll, and he rounded Grant before rolling the ball into the back of the net to spark delirious celebrations amongst the 247 travelling fans.

The response from the home side saw Austin's thumping header go just over Heaton's bar.

They were back on level terms just seven minutes after the break though, Shackell heading a bouncing ball into the bottom corner after a Stanislas corner evaded the Robins defence.

Four minutes later Vokes' header forced Heaton into a smart low stop and at the other end Davies volleyed over the bar.

But the home side's nine minute turnaround was complete in the 61st minute when McCann rounded off a passing move with a drilled left-foot finish into the bottom corner.And the Clarets continued to push for a third with Austin's curling effort landing on top of Heaton's net.

With their survival prospects looking to be in tatters, O'Driscoll introduced Neil Kilkenny as they searched for their second late equaliser this week.

Joseph Mills, back in the side for the first time since December, then handed the visitors a chance to do just that when he fouled Adomah inside the box.

Grant though guessed the right way and made a fantastic save to his right to keep out Davies' penalty.

And Paterson completed the scoring when he volleyed home in the 90th minute to leave City on course for npower League One.

Source: PA

World Cup Group G

Belgium 1 0 0 3 3
England 1 0 0 1 3
Tunisa 0 0 1 -1 0
Panama 0 0 1 -3 0
Last updated : 16:17