Burnley 2-1 Huddersfield: Match Report

31 October 2015 05:31

Burnley's Andre Gray scores twice as the Clarets see off Huddersfield

Andre Gray's first-half double helped Burnley to a 2-1 win over Huddersfield at Turf Moor.

Gray's fifth strike in Burnley colours from the spot handed the Clarets an early lead before he added another just before the break. Michael Duff put through his own net late on to halve the deficit.

The hosts won a 12th-minute penalty when Joel Lynch brought down Clarets record signing Gray, and the ex-Brentford man picked himself up to slot home.

Town almost drew level when Ishmael Miller found some space on the edge of the box, but the forward blasted his 17th-minute effort over.

Former Huddersfield midfielder Scott Arfield drifted in from the left and smartly found Sam Vokes who unleashed a right-footed curling effort towards goal on 21 minutes but Jed Steer dealt with the effort comfortably.

Arfield once again showed his creativity after shaking off Mustapha Carayol's challenge and into the box on 28 minutes but he was eventually denied by a crucial Mark Hudson challenge.

Gray gave Lynch problems once more on the half-hour after robbing the centre half of possession and teed up George Boyd who forced Steer into a low save.

And the lively forward slotted away his second of the game after running on to Vokes' 43rd minute through-ball and firing clinically past Steer.

After the break from Tom Heaton's ball forward, Huddersfield failed to clear their lines and Vokes drove a powerful effort straight at Steer.

From David Jones's corner on 56 minutes, ex-Manchester United trainee Michael Keane placed a looping header at the back post just over.

After Gray's run from inside his own half was halted by Dean Whitehead's challenge, Joey Barton tried his luck with a long-range free-kick that Steer collected calmly.

With Gray searching for his hat-trick, he latched on to Barton's dangerous 64th-minute cross but was unable to divert his header towards goal.

Huddersfield had a golden chance to grab one back 15 minutes before the end when Jamie Paterson's lobbed ball found substitute Nahki Wells, but the Town striker blasted over with the goal gaping.

Wells did better moments later when he turned on the edge of the area and drew a decent save from Heaton.

As Huddersfield still pressed, Emyr Huws collected a loose ball on the edge of the area and fired at Heaton, with the stopper parrying the 82nd-minute effort to safety.

Jones's corner on 87 minutes was then met by Keane whose header rebounded off the post as Burnley looked for a third.

But from Town substitute Kyle Dempsey's low cross, Clarets skipper Duff put the ball past a helpless Heaton to give Huddersfield late hope.

Source: PA