Burnley 1-2 Reading: Match Report

26 September 2015 04:31

Nick Blackman and Lucas Piazon boost Reading to victory at Burnley

Early strikes from Nick Blackman and Lucas Piazon saw Reading maintain their fine away record in the Sky Bet Championship and climb into the top three with a 2-1 victory at Burnley.

Tendayi Darikwa pulled one back for the Clarets as their five-match unbeaten streak ended, while victory for the Royals means they are yet to lose on the road this season.

Sean Dyche called on Rouwen Hennings to replace Burnley's injured record signing Andre Gray, with Royals boss Steve Clarke making seven changes to the side that bowed out of the Capital One Cup to Everton in midweek.

But the visitors took the lead when Michael Keane's fifth-minute clearance fell to Hal Robson-Kanu, who fed in Blackman for the marksman to bury his eighth of the season past Tom Heaton.

Reading doubled their advantage on 10 minutes when the Burnley rearguard allowed Chris Gunter's low right-wing cross to fizz through to unmarked Chelsea loanee Piazon, who finished clinically to leave Turf Moor stunned.

Michael Kightly could have halved the deficit moments later after latching onto Sam Vokes' knockdown and drifting centrally, but Jonathan Bond was untroubled by the effort.

The Clarets defence stood off Blackman and were nearly made to pay when the Reading hotshot worked some space past Ben Mee before blazing a 16th-minute shot over the bar.

Burnley dominated possession but chances were at a premium, with Keane heading David Jones' 28th-minute corner well off target.

Vokes was unable to properly control Mee's sublime long-range pass just after the half-hour mark under pressure from the Reading defence and the danger subsided.

Winger Kightly flew past Gunter on the stroke of half-time and whipped in a dangerous ball which evaded a lurking Hennings.

After the break, Williams again tried his luck from distance as Reading enjoyed but failed to force Heaton into action, while Robson-Kanu turned and fired a powerful 54th-minute effort that the stopper caught.

Confusion reigned in the Reading box when Vokes' goalbound 57th-minute shot was blocked by Jordan Obita, with handball appeals waved away by referee Tony Harrington.

The Clarets halved the deficit when Scott Arfield delivered a marvellous 67th-minute cross to unmarked full-back Darikwa, who side-footed past Bond.

As Burnley searched for an equaliser, Vokes received possession centrally to drive at the Royals backline and Bond initially fumbled the well-struck 74th-minute effort before collecting the loose ball.

Danny Williams caught the Burnley defence napping when he strolled into the box and cut back for Robson-Kanu, but Darikwa was on the line to clear the 84th-minute chance.

Source: PA