Burnley 1-0 Hull: Match Report

10 September 2016 04:34

Robert Snodgrass snatches last-gasp draw for Hull

Robert Snodgrass grabbed an injury-time lifeline for Hull as they continued to show their fighting spirit with a 1-1 draw at Burnley.

Snodgrass, who grabbed a hat-trick for Scotland against Malta, again showed his eye for goal by bending a last-chance free-kick past Tom Heaton to cancel out Steven Defour's wonderful opener.

The Belgium international looked to have settled things in the home side's favour in the 73rd minute with an elegant solo run and shot but the Tigers, under caretaker boss Mike Phelan, continue to defy grim predictions this term.

Both sides had been busy at the end of the transfer window but Johann Gudmundsson's recall was the only change made by either manager - meaning eight newcomers among the substitutes, including the teams' record signings Jeff Hendrick and Ryan Mason.

The first half was dogged by conservatism, Abel Hernandez gifted a rare chance by Michael Keane's ragged touch and George Boyd having two attempts charged down in the aftermath of a corner against his former club.

Jakupovic was having a quiet time in the Hull goal, watching on as Stephen Ward drilled over after Gudmundsson's volley was cleared.

The whistle was imminent when Snodgrass conjured the game's first moment of genuine skill.

Cutting in from the wing, he picked a wonderful pass that took four claret shirts out of the game and fell nicely for David Meyler, who shot across goal and grazed the outside of the post.

The visitors spurned an even better chance five minutes into the second half, Meyler finding space again in attack and cutting the ball across the six-yard box.

The Irishman found Adama Diomande at the far post but he inexplicably steered the ball wide with the goal at his mercy. The away end thought he had scored but realised as soon as the forward threw his hands to his head they were wrong.

Burnley were too timid when the ball finally broke for them, Andre Gray twice declining to shoot after good play from Boyd and Gudmundsson, allowing Curtis Davies to block a belated effort from Dean Marney.

But Sean Dyche's men began to push on, Ben Mee heading over at a corner, Boyd working Jakupovic for the first time in the 64th minute and Sam Vokes missing the target with a powerful 25-yarder.

The change of momentum was confirmed 17 minutes from time when Defour brought his class to bear.

In one graceful movement he brought down a high ball on his instep, eased past Clucas and set off to hammer past a grasping Jakupovic from range.

He exited the stage within minutes, replaced by Hendrick, with Hull sending for Will Keane, Mason and Shaun Maloney.

Mason thought he had a penalty after a collision with Heaton but Hull's disappointment did not linger.

With one final shot at redemption, Snodgrass stepped up and hit the net with an emphatic strike from 20 yards.

Source: PA