- Brighton and Hove Albion News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Championship News
Poyet to appeal on-air sacking
Gus Poyet is set to launch an appeal against his dismissal as Brighton manager after he learned he had been sacked on live TV by the npower Championship club on Sunday night.
Brighton revealed Poyet's three-and-a-half-year tenure had been terminated following a decision by the club's internal disciplinary panel into a, so far, unidentified matter. A club statement claimed Brighton had informed Poyet of the decision but the stunned boss refuted that live on air after learning the news while acting as a pundit on the BBC for the Confederations Cup.
Poyet only became aware of the decision after BBC staff handed him a copy of the statement during the Spain and Nigeria match, and he said: "I have had no communication, no texts, no email. I didn't receive anything on my phone so it is all up to you and the timing. The only thing I'm concentrating on is the appeal. I will appeal because it's the right thing to do."
He added: "I think the BBC have a great story forever, because a manager getting information that he is being released from his employment by the BBC is quite surprising."
Those comments were made during the half-time break and when Poyet re-appeared on screen after the full-time whistle he revealed the club had subsequently made contact.
Brighton have remained tight-lipped over the reasons for the disciplinary action against Poyet and the Uruguayan himself declined the opportunity to shed any further light on the club's reasons for his dismissal.
Poyet's feud with the club has gathered pace since Brighton suffered play-off defeat to Crystal Palace last month. The 45-year-old, assistant manager Mauricio Taricco and coach Charlie Oatway were subsequently told to stay away from the club in the wake of a disciplinary hearing, although Taricco's ban has since been lifted.
Poyet said he had not expected Sunday's decision, which came after a disciplinary hearing had to be adjourned last week after he opted not to attend.
"Not really. Today there have been plenty of phone calls between the representatives," he said. "Everybody and the viewers can take their own conclusion about the way I have been informed.
"(Are they) messing with my career? We'll see. I think it is too early to say. I'm looking forward to making sure we clear this."
Related Brighton and Hove Albion News