Brighton 2-2 Charlton: Match Report

30 August 2014 04:31
Brighton 2-2 Charlton: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Dunk rescues point for Brighton

Defender Lewis Dunk scored deep into added time to rescue a point for Brighton in a 2-2 draw against unbeaten Charlton at the Amex Stadium.

Striker Igor Vetokele twice put the Addicks ahead to take his tally to five goals, but Dunk produced two headers of his own to give Sami Hyypia's men a share of the points.

The Seagulls went behind for the second successive game when Angolan striker Vetokele struck after only four minutes.

Charlton hit the hosts with a fast break and midfeilder Yoni Buyens played in Vetokele, who beat goalkeeper David Stockdale with a well-placed low shot for his fourth goal of the season.

Brighton came close to wiping the deficit out less than a minute later when Portuguese midfielder Joao Teixeira, on a season-long loan from Liverpool, forced Irish keeper Stephen Henderson to make a brilliant one-handed save.

Albion striker Craig Mackail-Smith failed to control an inviting pass into the box from Joe Bennett before Jake Forster-Caskey had a low goal-bound shot blocked for the Seagulls.

Buyens was forced to put the ball behind for a corner from a cross by Andrew Crofts after Bruno Saltor had set up the Welshman.

Brighton threatened when a corner from Danny Holla was headed down by Dunk and Spanish striker Adrian Colunga was unable to direct his shot on target at the far post.

Charlton, who were frustrating Brighton with a well-organised defence, pushed forward before the interval and Johann Berg Gudmundsson saw a deflected shot fly wide before Romanian striker George Tucudean was off target with an angle drive from outside the area.

Brighton began the second half in lively fashion and Mackail-Smith put a shot on the turn wide after being set up in the box by Bennett.

Teixeira, seeing a lot of the ball, was unable to get a shot away on the edge of the area as the Seagulls enjoyed greater possession.

Bruno, arriving late at the far post, put the ball over after Bennett delivered a teasing cross for the improving Seagulls.

And Brighton pulled level on 67 minutes when Dunk rose to head home Holla's corner from 10 yards.

Substitute Kazenga LuaLua, a replacement for Mackail-Smith, then had a goal-bound low drive saved by Henderson.

Henderson later grabbed hold of the ball after it took a deflection following a strong run into the area by Teixeira.

Vetokele then struck again to restore Charlton's lead with another well-taken goal, firing in off the post 15 minutes from time after being set up by substitute Simon Church.

But Dunk had the final say to make it 2-2 in the third minute of time added on by neatly heading in a clever chip from LuaLua.

Source: PA