Brentford 1-2 Yeovil: Match Report

19 May 2013 04:01
Brentford 1-2 Yeovil: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Wembley joy for Yeovil

A stunning goal from npower League One's top scorer Paddy Madden helped Yeovil to an historic 2-1 play-off final victory over Brentford.

The Glovers, who had never even played in the Football League until 2003, got off to the perfect start when Madden curled home the opener with the outside of his foot after just five minutes, a lead that was doubled when Dan Burn's header bounced through a crowd of bodies just before the interval.

Brentford enjoyed the lion's share of possession throughout and set up a nervy second half when Harlee Dean nodded home from eight yards out. But their hopes of ending their play-off hoodoo, which now stretches to seven unsuccessful attempts, were ended thanks to an inspired display from Yeovil goalkeeper Marek Stech.

Gary Johnson's side took the lead in stunning fashion thanks to Madden's 24th of the campaign. League One's Golden Boot winner had failed to score since April 6 but he took just five minutes to end that six-game drought, curling an exquisite right-footed shot into the top corner with the outside of his boot from the edge of the box.

Having soaked up a spell of Brentford pressure Yeovil showed the Bees how to be clinical in front of goal. Ed Upson sent a hanging corner to the back post and Fulham loanee Burn's downward header found a way between Simon Moore, Tony Craig and Glovers striker James Hayter before landing over the line. Bees right-back Shaleum Logan hacked the ball clear but the goal was quite rightly awarded, leaving Yeovil 45 minutes away from making history.

The Glovers did endure a scare in added time when Jake Bidwell's cross was met by Marcello Trotta but Stech plucked his header out of the top corner.

With Brentford manager Uwe Rosler's half-time team talk ringing in their ears Dean and Toumani Diagouraga were both off-target within a minute of the restart, and their positive start to the second half was rewarded in the 51st minute when Dean met Adam Forshaw's corner with a close-range header to halve the deficit.

Bradley Wright-Phillips was then inches away from an equaliser just two minutes after his introduction with an effort he knew little about. Clayton Donaldson forced Stech into a full-stretch save with a near-post header but the Czech stopper could only push the ball onto the former Charlton striker's shin and watch as it fell inches wide.

Stech pulled off another crucial save four minutes later, this time with his feet, to deny Forshaw as Brentford continued to knock at the door. At the other end Kevin Dawson was booked for diving when he felt he should have been awarded a penalty before Sam Foley shot wide.

With time running out Logan's mazy run ended with a low shot that fell just wide after Wright-Phillips was denied by another Stech save. But Brentford's play-off heartache goes on while the Glovers celebrated their first ever promotion to the second tier.

Source: PA

Trending on the forum