Brazil coach Luiz Felipe Scolari says he will find out in the coming days whether he will keep his job despite leading the country through a disappointing World Cup campaign.
Brazil's tournament ended in a typically underwhelming fashion on Saturday as they were beaten 3-0 by Holland in the third-place play-off.
Five days earlier Scolari led the team to one of their most humiliating defeats in history - a 7-1 reverse to Brazil.
The home fans made their displeasure towards the coach and his players clear at the final whistle by booing them off the pitch.
But just as he did following the thrashing against Germany, Scolari did not resign.
When asked whether he thought he remained the right man for the job, Scolari said in his post-match press conference: "That has to be decided by the president of the Brazilian Football Confederation.
"We agreed before this tournament that we would give our positions at the end of the World Cup.
"I will finish my report and the president and the board will analyse it and do as they wish."
David Luiz, who had a shocker against Germany, put on another masterclass in how not to defend in Brasilia.
The Brazil vice-captain headed the ball straight to Daley Blind in the first half and he lashed the ball past Julio Cesar for Holland's second goal.
The match started in the worst possible way for the hosts, who went behind within three minutes thanks to Robin van Persie's penalty, and Georginio Wijnaldum wrapped up the latest humiliating defeat for Brazil in injury time.
It was the first time that Brazil had suffered consecutive home defeats since 1940.
But Scolari was not unhappy with his team's performance and he denied the whole tournament had been a disaster for the host nation.
"Losing 7-1 was the worst result in history but I have to see the positive side of things," Scolari added.
"In 2006 we didn't finish in the final four and neither did we in 2010.
"In a year-and-a-half we have reached the last four of the World Cup and we have won the Confederations Cup.
"We have to be optimistic.
"Today I don't think it was a bad match. There is nothing I can criticise the players for.
"We played this match reasonably well.
"The players leave with my trust and happiness.
"If we continue the work then the path is open for a team that will be much better for 2018."
Holland coach Louis van Gaal headed for his new job at Manchester United with mixed emotions.
The 62-year-old was disappointed not to win the tournament, but he did not have a bad word to say about his players.
The Holland coach, who has been handed a three-year contract at Old Trafford, has created a strong bond within the squad and he now wants to do the same in England with his new players.
"There will always be a place in my heart for these 23 players and my staff," said Van Gaal when asked whether he would miss working with the Holland squad.
"I have top staff. They are great people. My players were even better. It was a great group.
"I hope that the group in Manchester will become like this one. We have to start singing from the same hymn sheet."
Given that Holland only went out of the competition on penalties after a 0-0 draw against Argentina, Van Gaal became the first Holland coach to go through a World Cup unbeaten.
He thinks it will be hard to do the same with United, who finished seventh last year under David Moyes.
"I wasn't able to do it with Ajax, Bayern Munich or Barcelona," he said.
"Losing is just part of the job."
Van Gaal is determined to bring the good times back to Old Trafford after the club endured such a dreadful year under Moyes.
"I hope at Manchester United I can do my best," he said.
"I will do my best. Whether that's enough for the fans I will wait and see but I genuinely hope that will be the case."